]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  March 2008, Week 3

MEDLIB-L March 2008, Week 3

Re: UPDATED SUMMARY: replaced print with virtual medical/hospital lib rary

Julie Stielstra <[log in to unmask]>

Julie Stielstra <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:40:49 -0500

Yup.  That's what university libraries, regional resource libraries, etc.
are for.  Each library has to decide for itself what its own usage patterns
are and what its mission is.  Two years' worth of usage stats showed me that
90% of my requests were for materials less than ten years old, and my
collection / maintenance decisions were based on such factors.  And with the
advent of electronic transmission, we don't have to wait weeks for a mailed
photocopy to arrive - getting the old stuff doesn't take any longer than the
newer material does.  It's a beautiful thing! :-)  And yes, we pay for it
when we have to, and I am ENORMOUSLY grateful to all those generous
libraries who have helped me, and I am only too glad to help them when I
can!

--
Julie Stielstra, MLS
Supervisor, Knowledge Resource Library