A while back when we started converting to NODE32 we noticed so "odd"
behavior in Mathematica. When you first tart it up, you get some sort of
Java link error. This happens on both XP and Vista machines. We contacted
Wolfram and suggested that it might have something to do with NODE32, but
were assured that it didn't. They have offered no solution, so we started
things like disabling NODE32 and that seems to fix the problem, but isn't a
workable solution. Since then I found an "Exceptions" setting in NODE32
and added the Wolfram folder and that seems to do the job also. Is there a
risk to doing this and do you have any other suggestions. We plan to get
back to Wolfram now that we have "evidence" that NODE32 is the culprit.