VTLEPS Archives

April 2008

VTLEPS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Martha Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:43:23 -0700
This butterfly was on the trail at Equinox Preserve
(Manchester) near the pond in a wooded area.  I had no
camera, no net, binoculars that don't have close
range.  The butterfly settled on the trail, appeared
to shift wings back and forth like a hairstreak. I
approached on all fours, creeping closer and closer
then in a sudden swoop I caught it in my hand.
Unfortunately, it was quite mangled.  These are the
photos I took at home.  It starts to disintegrate when
I try to open it up so I"m hoping there are enough
clues here to get an identification.

Also on the trail were several Mourning Cloaks and one
anglewing.

Martha

Be a better friend, newshound, and