SKIVT-L April 2008, Week 3

Re: KMart Carbon Credits(wind farms)

Dana Dorsett <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:46:25 -0400

Rob Urwin [[log in to unmask]] writes:

>> bathing in ice-cold water. (How does 450kWh compare to your last
bill?)

>Heh, mine is running about 375kWh...
>
>Dana, might I recommend an air/air heat exchanger for your basement
>moisture issues.  Turning off the basement dehumidifier cut our
electric
>bill in half.  I've estimated that getting a best-in-class efficiency
new
>fridge would cut it nearly in half again.

If it's for more than 1 person, at an average 375kWh/month you're
probably near the 2-sigma point from the middle of the 'merican
consumption curve!  Good on ya!

As for active-ventilation as a solution to the humidity studying the
problem close up I expect a heat-recovery ventilator would only be
effective after taking the other measures, primarily air sealing the
foundation sill and tightening up the basement doors & windows.  The
dehumidifier tends to only run in the summer, so it's primarily a
latent-heat from infiltration issue, but the dehumidifier logged
something like 1100kWh from June-September last year (!)  The basement
has been VERY leaky from an infiltration point of view, which I'm fixing
by degrees.  I'm currently in the process of gluing polyiso sheet
insulation (3" for ~R20 with very low vapor-permeability) to the inside
of the poured concrete foundation and sealing the sill with spray
polyurethane as I go, and I'm planning to replace the decrepit basement
door at some point this summer, etc.  I'll monitor the dehumidifier
again this summer- I anticipate a very different load.

I'm mindful of the potential to create a backdrafting issue with the
atmospheric boiler & gas hot water heater.  If the basement gets tight
enough I may have to add active combustion supply air.  The ~12 year old
boiler is more than 2x oversized anyway- it may be replaced soon enough,
eliminating some of that issue.  Flue draft is a significant driver of
the infiltration problem, and I'm considering addtional methods of
controlling that.  There's a draft damper on the boiler, but none on the
on-demand hot water heater, so it's drafting continuously.  Adding a
heat-operated vent damper to it is probably cost-effective.

I'll be doing whole-house blower door testing in the fall, after gutting
and fixing up the attic-rooms in my house (which havn't been worked on
in ~50-60 years, I'm guessing.)  In the process I'll be adding 2lb.
polyurethane between the rafters on the sloped ceilings, after which a
pressurization test will be able to determine where the biggest
remaining thermal bypasses and infiltration points are.  If it turns out
I have to add a whole-house HRV unit and run the place at positive
pressure 'cuz the place is too tight I'll feel lucky! :-)  (Not too
likely.)

Chris Goodrich [[log in to unmask]] writes:

> My general electricty usage is about 560 KwH.  Before you toss the
>electric dryer do the calculations.  I was able to add the dryer to my
off
>peak hot water meter for less money than LPG.

You can trust me to have done the math, eh? :-)  NG is a lot cheaper
than LPG in any market, and I'm currently paying $1.36/therm (delivered-
lower than the MA average) for NG, $0.16/kWh (delivered) for
electricity.  At 29.4 kWh/therm, the equivalent energy from electricity
is $4.70/therm- more than 3x as expensive.

But due to both the aforementioned potential backdrafting issues and
capital expense of plumbing gas lines into the laundry area, I'm in no
hurry- it's WAY down the cost-effectiveness list, even if the price of
electricity were to double.  (IIRC it's even below solar-thermal
panels.)  It's not as if we're doing 10 loads of laundry/day (or even
one.)  But it's a measurable fraction of the power bill.

My utility doesn't offer demand-billing to residential customers, but it
seems yours does(?).  If NJ law allows/requires net-metering for small
generators (I believe it does), you might have a situation where a
right-sized PV array would be cost effective, given NJ's very generous
(by US standards- still nothing like Germany's) PV solar-incentives.
There's significant overlap between peak output of a solar array and
peak demand.  The orientation of the array might even be adjusted to
maximize peak-demand time output rather than the more typical
orientations that maximize total annual output.  If you can sell to the
utility at peak-demand retail rates for some/most of the time could be
viable.  NJ will rebate you $4.35/peak-watt for the first 10kW of
installed panels (about half of the installed cost) and you can sell
green-power certificates for the power produced over & above the raw
per-kWh rate to be resold to "green power" carbon-offset customers.

At your current consumption it would take about a 4-5kW array to make
you Net-Zero electricity.  That would clearly put you in the
power-generation biz, but even a 2kW array selling at mostly peak-demand
rates could cut your BILL to zero, if most of your use is off-peak.  Do
the math- would a $10kUSD (after rebates & incentives) investment that
paid back most or all of your electric bill (after taxes) have a
positive NPV at current interest rates?  Got unobstructed sun somewhere
on your property?  Think about it.  Even were you to sell the place most
or all of the capital outlay would be recouped in increased home value-
green is in (not just green plaid! :-) )

As if you needed another project...

If you don't want to go into the power-generation & carbon-trading biz
you still might be able to lock in your current rates with Sun Edison,
let THEM buy/sell from the utility at real-time spot-market rate and
sell the carbon credits. (see http://www.sunedison.com/ )  I'm not sure
if they're doing residential yet, but power-pig businesses with lots of
refrigeration (like restaurants & groceries) can do pretty well this
arrangement in high peak-demand price electricity markets.  (If I were a
restaurant owner looking at a potential 50% boost in electricity rates
I'd give this serious consideration.)

dana
_____________ ________ __