IT-DISCUSS May 2008

Re: XP update problem

Beth Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 May 2008 09:34:18 -0400

I've been having some issues with what looks like the Genuine Advantage
install. I always update to the nines with everything but SP3 first.  My
next step is to use CCleaner to tidy up,  then install SP3. I've fixed
my problem(s) by using the net stop wuauserv command then renaming the
Software Distribution folder in the C:\Windows folder to something like
sdold. Note: in one case I had to reboot before the windows update
service would really stop so I could rename the folder.  Then I
re-register the wups2.dll by using the regsrv32 wups2.dll command. I
have been able to continue the Windows update from there with no issues
and no reboots. This has happened on 5 machines for me at this point.
They aren't "new" installs but I surmise that Microsoft has done
something to some of the dll's in preparation for SP3 that is causing
these machines to think they aren't "valid" installs. For what it's worth~

Beth Wilkins
CAS Computing Services

--
Beth Wilkins