VTBIRD Archives

May 2008

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jane Schlossberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2008 11:50:32 -0400
While I had seen a few veerys (veeries?) flitting through the undergrowth several weeks ago, and had heard one or two early, rusty verses of veery verbalization, I have not since heard any veery songs in our woods. Normally, by this time of year, there would be many competing males jousting for their territories with their descending flute-like songs.

We have hermits and wood thrushes sharing the woods, singing away, but this is the first year without their fellow thrush singing along as well...am I wrong to feel some concern as to why and what and how, etc? Any others experiencing the same gap this year? I know some others had posted remarks about the lack of veeries about a month ago, and I wonder if they have since made their appearance in that area.

In general, the woods see, quieter, or rather sound like there is less variety. Fewer warblers as well, and hopefully the peewees will be back, as always, they are typically among the last of the songbirds to return and resume vocalizing.

Jane S.

Saint George