VTBIRD Archives

May 2008

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
David Capen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2008 11:32:23 -0400
Four Brothers Islands Friday, 2 May:  I counted 61 Caspian Terns on
Island C, where they have nested for the past 4 years; some were already
incubating.  It was interesting to see some of the terns offering
alewives, instead of smelt, as part of their breeding behavior.  My
partner, Scott, spotted a Peregrine Falcon, which spent a few minutes on
the cliff face of Island A.  A couple of cleanly eaten Ring-billed Gulls
on Island C suggested the falcon visits regularly. Scott spotted a pair
of Gadwalls also. Other notable birds include Great Egrets, 3 nesting
pairs, I think; 24 Great Blue Herons on nests; and a good number of
Black-crowned Night Herons.