Baille Birdathon results

Eve Ticknor <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 19 May 2008 23:03:59 -0400

Baille Birdathon Summary 2008

This was certainly an interesting search for bird species this year.
Although I love a cool slow spring, it meant a slow migration,
especially for finding warblers.  I did find some but 1 by 1, unlike
past years where I could count on known pockets.  Also the change in
weather had me changing my route several times.  It also changed my
timing, from doing my birdathon on Saturday, to partly Friday and
partly Saturday to try to avoid the rain.  And in the end, I did
better than I had thought with 127 species, pretty close to my record
of 131.

I started out in Vermont somewhere between Burlington and Shelburne
the afternoon of Friday May 16th and ended up at Wickham Marsh 24
hours later, foregoing midnight hours.  Fortunately the rain forecast
for much of my search time never happened.

As I said, I started out in Vermont after doing errands.  My first
bird was a Fish Crow near Red Rocks Park.  I continued on, picking up
birds here and there until getting on the ferry at Charlotte for
Essex.  Several birds such as Tufted Titmouse were near my motherís
house there.  The following morning, up at 5:30am, I headed south,
passing through Westport where I found 3 Bonaparteís Gulls amongst
several Ring-billed Gulls.  A Common Loon and some Red-breasted
Mergansers were in the small cove at Camp Dudley.  As I arrived at
the bridge at Crown Point, I decided to hit Dead Creek Wildlife
Management Area first and to give Mike and his pals at the Crown
Point Banding station time to get up (!) before I would visit there.
At Dead Creek I found not only more species but birders doing a
birdathon for Vermont!  I also had a flyover of a Peregrine Falcon!
Once I was finished there, I headed back to Crown Point.  Walking
around the site didnít bring much and Mike said it had been rather
quiet all week.  I finally had a Blackpoll Warbler in the bushes
while nearing my car.  It was back to Vermont to check out the
Farrell access for Dead Creek, and on to the Otter Creek area.  Once
again I crossed the lake on the ferry from Charlotte but this time I
drove north to Noblewood.  Unfortunately I found little there,
probably due to the late hour and some boys running around and being
loud.  Little shore there made for no shorebirds.  As time was
running out, I decided to make my last stop at Wickham Marsh.  A
lovely Marsh Wren was singing in front of me at the clearing.  He
would hop to the top of a reed, and sing while sliding down.  Soon he
would appear again, and again.  I met a nice couple and their dog
there.  While showing the man a Common Yellowthroat, I suddenly heard
my last bird, one I had been hoping for all day, a Black-throated
Green Warbler!

It wasnít until much later that I totaled my list and was surprised
to find it so close to my past record, in spite of finding some a
difficult task.

My list follows here:
Canada Goose
Wood Duck