]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  June 2008

VTBIRD June 2008

OT: Unwanted characters (was Re: [VTBIRD] VTBIRD Digest - 23 Jun 2008 to 24 Jun 2008 (#2008-173))

Ernie Buford <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:35:33 -0400

Hi folks,

This is not related to birds and should not really be a topic on this
list (as per our guidelines [1]).  Regardless, (and not necessarily to
make an example of anyone in particular) this is a good opportunity to
point out a few things that may be helpful to subscribers.

Off-topic topic #1:

I suspect the "unwanted characters" Jeannie refers to are appearing only
in digests.  From my experience, this problem only occurs with so-called
"traditional" (i.e., "vanilla") digests and can be corrected by
switching to MIME digests.  This can be accomplished by changing your
settings[2].  I'll try to add something on this topic to the VTBIRD web
page[1].

This is not really an issue of people posting in a bad way.  Subscribers
use many different email programs, which vary widely in the degree to
which they conform to standards, hence the challenge in displaying a
digest of disparately-formatted messages.  MIME helps with this
problem.  (As a side note -- digests are OK, but I much prefer filtering
list messages into a separate folder so they don't clutter my inbox.  It
is worth learning how to do this even if it means getting a new email
application or maybe even a new ISP.)

Off-topic topic #2:

This is covered on the VTBIRD web page [1], but again:  please use an
appropriate subject line on messages posted to VTBIRD.

Off -topic topic #3:

Please do not quote an entire digest in a reply to the list (especially
if there's no message from you to go along with it)!  .... This may not
be covered on the VTBIRD web page [1], so maybe I'll add it if necessary.

Off-topic topic #4:

If a VTBIRD subscriber seems to be out of line, or if something is awry
with the list, and you have reason to believe that I'm not already doing
something about it, please contact me privately.  My contact info can be
found on the VTBIRD web page[1].

Off-topic topic #5:

Comcast apparently black-listed the UVM listserv on Tuesday.  We are now
temporarily only "gray-listed".  We're doing what we can to correct the
problem.  This issue crops up with one ISP or another from time to
time.  When in doubt about whether you are receiving VTBIRD messages,
the archives[3] or "birding on the net"[4] are good places to check.
------
Did I miss anything?  Oh yeah, please review the guidelines[1] if you
have not done so recently.  And do let me know if you have any feedback
or bright ideas about VTBIRD.

Good birding,
Ernie Buford
VTBIRD List Owner