Re: On Donating Bird Photos

Jim Block <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:22:05 -0400

There are many good bird photographers out there who are only too happy to
have their photos appear in the press.  That is their right.  But like Bryan
I object to newspapers and magazines that pay writers and expect to get
photos for free.  Perhaps if they valued the time they spend dealing with
free sources they would recognize the value received from professionals.
But of course using VTBIRD to solicit the photos saves them time ...

Right on Bryan.

Jim Block
Etna, NH

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bryan Pfeiffer
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 12:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [VTBIRD] On Donating Bird Photos

Dear Birders:

Recognizing that VTBIRD isn't quite the venue for this, allow me
nonetheless to take issue with two recent requests posted here for free
bird photos - one from the Burlington Free Press and the other from
Rutland Magazine. First, a disclaimer: I sell my bird and insect
photography. So I stand to lose when others donate photos. Hey, I
realize it's a free market. Any of us is free to give away bird photos.
But when you do so, please recognize that you are giving away something
of value to help a publication make money. Would you donate one of your
favorite prints to Wal-Mart so that it can sell it to customers and
pocket the income? I myself have on occasion (and reluctantly) donated
bird images to newspapers when the accompanying article would help a
conservation cause or organization. But newspapers and magazines, while
arguably providing a public service, have budgets and make profits. They
pay writers for articles; they should pay photographers for photos. That
includes you. Thanks for reading.

Best,
Bryan Pfeiffer

www.WingsPhotography.com