Re: Mansfield and Burke

Ernie Buford <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:12:37 -0400

Chris, you guys really missed a unique camping experience by being one
day ahead of that violent cold front! ;)

Regarding the relatively quiet avian activity... it was a rather lonely
morning last Saturday during the first visit to my forest bird
monitoring plot in Bristol.  Amazingly, I think I encountered only 4 or
5 bugs of the unwelcome variety all morning, and (I think for the first
time in ~10 years of surveying there) I failed to tally any
black-throated blue warblers at all (5 survey points), although I did
hear a couple during my hike.  I guess it's bound to happen sometime,
but that is a noteworthy zero for a top-5 bird in that habitat.  At one
station I had only a single, distant ovenbird in 10 minutes of
observation.  That's a lonely point count when there aren't even any
mosquitoes or black flies to swat!  (... not that I'm complaining about
returning with zero blood loss)

Ernie