Mississippi Kites in NH

Jim Mead <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:05:11 -0400

Hello All,

Thanks to Jo Ann Lafayette for her June 17 posting  about the Mississippi
Kites in Newmarket, New Hampshire. It inspired me to see where this place is.
As it turns out, Newmarket is about 10 minutes south of Dover. My daughter
lives in Dover, so I called her and asked if she knew the Newmarket area, and
she said that she did. Now, as a rule I would not travel 4 hours to go see a
bird. However, to have an opportunity to visit my daughter, made this one a
no brainer. I arrived at her place at 8:45am today and we headed directly to
Newmarket. We found the area that the birds were reported in and within 55
minutes saw our first adult Mississippi Kite flying overhead. We observed it for
about 3 minutes. After another hour of not getting another look at it, we went
and had lunch. We then decided to go back in the hopes of finding one that
was perched or better yet, in the nest. When we got back, there were several
birders and a news team that had arrived while we were gone. They had been
there for over an hour and had not seen the Kite(s) at all. One of the birders
showed me the tree that the nest is in. I set up my scope, and with a major
stroke of luck, located the nest with the female on it. We all enjoyed great
looks at this nesting Mississippi Kite. Personally, I was thrilled to share the
experience of this Life Bird with my daughter. The news team was from WMUR-
channel 9. If anyone would like to see their news segment of this, which aired
this evening, try the following: Go to google.com, type in wmur, when the site
comes up, scroll down a little bit until you see a small picture with a caption
that reads, "Southern Bird makes N.H. home". Click on those words and the
video will start to play automatically. FYI, my daughter is the young lady that
says, "Oh, it's so pretty". I'm the one who says, "I'm thrilled to pieces, cause
I've never seen one".
If anyone wants to see these birds, go to Jo Ann's June 17 posting for
directions. Also, please be careful not to disturb the resident's private
property. Many people are showing up there and one resident has recently
planted grass and understandably does not want anyone stepping on it.
People visiting are being encouraged to stay on the sidewalk(s). Parking in the
High School parking lot is the best place for your vehicle.

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead