]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  June 2008

VTBIRD June 2008

Orchard Orioles, Northern Mockingbirds and Black-billed Cuckoos

Jim Mead <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:52:47 -0400

Hello All,

Terry Wright and I went south this morning seeking Upland Sandpipers. We
made several stops for them but came up empty at all locations. We are
hopeful that they are quietly nesting... We did have some good sightings of
other birds along the way though. While on Rte. 125 (approx. 3/4 mile W from
Rte. 22A in Bridport) we heard a Black-billed Cuckoo calling from the south.
We saw our 1st No. Mockingbird of the day at the intersection of Basin Harbor
Rd. and Smith St. in Shoreham. We saw our 2nd NOMO about 1 mile south of
the 1st one. We then heard our 2nd Black-billed Cuckoo at Hough Crossing on
Rte. 73 in Orwell. On our way back we saw 4 Helmeted Guineafowl at Palmer
Corner on Rte. 125 in Bridport. This is the intersection with the 1 room
Schoolhouse. We stopped and spoke with the farmer/landowner and he said
that he purchased them and lets them roam freely throughout his farmland.
We then headed to Farrell Access Rd. in Addison. Just before we turned onto
the access road, we saw our 3rd NOMO of the day fly into a tree on the W
side of Goodrich Corners Rd. As we pulled onto the access road we saw our
4th and final NOMO of the day fly and land on a fence post on the N side of
Farrell Access Rd. While looking at it we noticed another brightly colored bird
on a different fence post. Terry looked at it and said,"That's a female Orchard
Oriole". We watched her a while and noticed she was carrying food in her bill.
She flew into one of the trees along the 1st treeline on the S side of the road.
We wondered if she was a new bird or the same one that is raising two chicks
further down the access road. We then drove to the location of the nesting
pair of Orcard Orioles(the ones that Nancy Brown reported on June 22). Once
there, we were treated to both adults feeding the 2 chicks in the nest. They
are growing fast and will probably fledge very soon. When we saw this nesting
family we realized that the 1st female we had seen earlier must be a new bird
to the area, so we headed back to check out her situation. Once there, we
relocated her almost immediately. Terry then located the male and we both
noticed that he was carrying food as well. We assumed that a nest must be
nearby but that did not turn out to be true. We waited and kept watching
both adults and finally found out what they were doing. They were feeding
their fledged chick way up high in the same tree that the female had flown up
into earlier. We have no idea where they nested but we were quite fortunate
to happen upon them as we did. Terry and I were amazed that we had seen 7
Orchard Orioles in a 30 minute time frame.

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead