Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Home

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE  August 2008

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE August 2008

Re: Bio-Diesel, vastly better [Economics of corn/ethanol]

Jim West <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 30 Aug 2008 10:11:33 -0400

Corn as ethanol, in a broader economic sense, is a way of continuing the
current subsidization of U.S. corn agriculture.

To expand on your "divert corn production" theme, yes, corn is not a
preferable source of sugar/ethanol, yet corn is politically/economically
preferable for sugar/ethanol, because it has various other purposes, as food
-- and as an economic weapon, for example, forcing peasant farmers out of
business by dumping corn at below market cost.

Additionally, I just googled up this: 90% of algae mass is sequestered
carbon dioxide. Convert to new clean diesel technology and ethanol is not
(technically) necessary.

-Jim West
www.geocities.com/noxot

------
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:50:14 -0700, mart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>i have seen this debate and concluded that pimental and padzyck were being
misleading, though the 1->1.3 gain isn't much. but now i'm confused
again. what is the relevant metric?
> it would seem one asks how many barrels of oil does it take to produce
gasoline (or equivalent) directly, versus via ethanol. the standard view
is you get a 30% gain via corn ethanol. I guess this ignores the fact that
ethanol production may not involve just oil, but rather natural gas and coal
too (so then may be the gain is better, since all fuels don't have the same
use). is it only by considering the various other fuel inputs that one
gets the .8 versus 1.3 comparison?

>also it would seem that if one produced corn fuel starting with oil,
eventually you could then use part of the corn fuel to run the operation,
so then it would not use any oil (assuming no coal or natural gas is
required). (or more simply people could just run their cars on wood, like
the old days.)

>most corn i think is used for beef and sugar production; so if the corn
crop were diverted instead to fuel, this also seems to be a common sense
solution, though at odds with american consumerism.

>the reason this idea may be worth considering is simply as an excercize
in calculation, logical reasoning, critical thinking, and cost/benefit
analyses. its possible many of today's current problems exist because
people don't know how to do these, or simply prefer not to do them because
of either current 'social programming' (education, media, information
overload) or 'rational irrationality' (biologically based cognitive biases).

>of course it may also be possible that the 'status quo' is optimal or
neccesary (voltaire's candide) and more rational rationality actuallly would
lead to stifling boredom and calcification. (but then maybe future
generations could use that as fuel.)