]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CAREERSVCS-HEALTH Home

CAREERSVCS-HEALTH  September 2008

CAREERSVCS-HEALTH September 2008

Community Medical School lecture series - Fall 2008

"Anne M. Sullivan" <[log in to unmask]>

Career Services Prehealth List <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 13 Sep 2008 08:10:53 -0400

multipart/alternative (111 lines) , text/plain (2 lines) , text/plain (107 lines) , text/html (101 lines)

Hi Everyone,

Here is the schedule for a series of lectures which might appeal to
you.  You have a fine opportunity to meet medical school faculty, both
MD's and a DO at these and to hear wonderful lectures on selected
topics.  You can attend as many as you please, but do try to sign up
so they have an idea of numbers.  Remember...you are attending a
wonderful school and can begin sampling some medical education before
attending medical school....take advantage at this opportunity for
lifelong learning....Check out the topics!

Anne

Fall 2008
Free and Open to the Public
Please register in advance by calling (802) 847-2886 or online at
www.med.uvm.edu/cms.
WHERE: Carpenter Auditorium at the UVM Given Medical Building. Parking
is available.
WHEN: Beginning September 16. Every Tuesday from 6-7:00 PM, followed by
a Q&A session.

September 16 - Managing Stroke: Modern Approaches for Improving Recovery
Mark Gorman, M.D., Associate Professor of Neurology and Director of the
Stroke Program
Stroke is the leading cause of adult disability in the western world and
the third leading cause of death in North America. Technological
advances over the last 15 years have brought about a rebirth in stroke
medicine. Learn about the common signs and symptoms of stroke and
explore technological
advances, including interventions used within hours of stroke, that help
clinicians better diagnose and manage stroke.

September 23 - From the Playing Field to the Bench: Knee Injuries in
Young Athletes
James Slauterbeck, M.D., Associate Professor of Orthopaedics and
Rehabilitation and Orthopaedic Surgeon
Examine the basic anatomy of the knee's anterior cruciate ligament
(ACL), how ACL injuries occur, and which young athletes are most at risk
for this injury based on basic laboratory research findings. ACL injury
studies conducted at the University of Vermont, as well as other medical
institutions, will be discussed.

September 30 - Robotics: The History and Future of Computer-Assisted
Minimally-Invasive Surgery
Scott Perrapato, D.O., Associate Professor of Surgery and Urologic
Oncologist
Learn the history and current status of computer-assisted surgery and
discover why robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy (RALP) is the
number-one surgical treatment for prostate cancer worldwide. Review what
the immediate future holds for these new technologies, as well as the
field of telesurgery.

October 7 - Maintaining Control: Strategies for Treating Urinary
Incontinence
Julie LaCombe, M.D., Assistant Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and
Reproductive Sciences and Urogynecologist
Approximately 75 to 80 percent of Americans who suffer from urinary
incontinence are women. Discover the underlying causes of bladder and
pelvic
floor disorders and examine the surgical and non-surgical therapies
available to remedy this lifestyle-limiting condition.

October 14 - Heart Failure: When Your Hardest Working Muscle Quits
Martin LeWinter, M.D., Professor of Medicine and Molecular Physiology
and Biophysics and Cardiologist
More than 5 million Americans are living with heart failure, according
to the American Heart Association. Learn about the molecular mechanisms
that affect the heart's pumping function and blood pressure, as well as
currently available treatments and research taking place at our academic
medical center.

October 21 - Physical, Emotional & Spiritual Comfort: Providing Options
through Palliative Care
Allan Ramsay, M.D., Professor of Family Medicine and Medical Director of
the Palliative Care Service
Gain an understanding of what palliative care is and how it can improve
treatment and relief for patients with serious illness. The Palliative
Care  Program at Fletcher Allen, as well as common clinical problems
managed by a palliative care consultation service, will also be
discussed.

October 28 - Bad Blood: How Success in the Lab Leads to Success in
Treating Leukemia and Lymphoma
Barbara Grant, M.D., Associate Professor of Medicine and Director of the
Stem Cell Program
Examine two blood cancers - lymphoma, which originates in the lymphatic
system, and leukemia, which begins in a cell in the bone marrow. Review
the signs and symptoms patients experience, find out what scientific
discoveries have led to rapid advances in treatment options and how
clinical trials, as well as the Vermont Cancer Center, have played a
role in identifying new therapies.

----- End forwarded message -----

Anne Sullivan
Pre Health Advisor