VBBA publication?

Rosalind Renfrew <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:31:26 -0400

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

Dear Vermont Breeding Bird Atlassers,

I have some news for you! At the time of the volunteer atlas event last
fall, we had determined that an atlas publication would not be happening
because of the high cost due to a relatively low sales volume in our
small state. We decided to present atlas accounts, data, and maps on a
website instead. Many folks were disappointed (albeit understanding),
because nothing can substitute for having this comprehensive volume in
hand, flipping through the pages with beautiful photos and maps. The web
is an amazing tool, but many felt it just isn't the same.

One person felt so strongly about having a book in addition to a
website, that they pledged $100,000 to help defray the costs of a
publication! This generous pledge re-opened discussions of publishing a
book. But before you start putting in for an early order, bear in mind
that we have to raise another $100,000+  (and we will still need to
charge ~$65 per book). Crazy, but true. It is an expensive book to
produce, esp. given the sales volume.

The donation has re-ignited our efforts to try to raise the additional
funds needed. We're up for the challenge, but we will need your help. In
this economic climate, fundraising is not easy, but acknowledgment in
the atlas (for the next 25 years!) will certainly be a nice benefit to
anyone who donates, particularly businesses.

Although many small donations can add up, we need to obtain some large
ones to ensure that we can reach our goal. So, we are putting the word
out to potentially larger (>$1000) donors first before requesting funds
from potentially smaller donors. If you are in a position to donate or
if you know a person or business who may be interested in contributing,
please let me know, and we can work as a team to approach them.

If all goes as planned, we intend to have a publication out by the end
of 2010. But first things first - I hope you can help!

Many thanks,
Rosalind

--
Rosalind Renfrew, PhD