SKIVT-L September 2008, Week 2

Re: Politics

Marc Chrusch <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:38:35 -0600

Glad to see the right wing is supporting another upstanding candidate:

<http://tampabay.com/opinion/editorials/article808444.ece>St.
Petersburg Times (Editorial) "Campaign of lies disgraces McCain"
McCain's straight talk has become a toxic mix of lies and
double-speak. It is leaving a permanent stain on his reputation for
integrity, and it is a short-term strategy that eventually will
backfire with the very types of independent-thinking voters that were
so attracted to him.

<http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/bookman/entries/2008/09/13/obama_wants_to_tax_water.html>Atlanta
Journal Constitution (Jay Bookman) The volume and audacity of lies
pouring from the McCain campaign is startling and even
historic…That's really something, lying straight out about a
FactCheck group, knowing that you're going to get caught but not
giving a damn about it. With stuff like this, the McCain camp has cut
any remaining tethers to reality and integrity and is now floating
wherever the winds of illusion and whimsy may take them. It's quite
remarkable, and quite insulting to the intelligence of the American people.

<http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08256/911583-153.stm>Pittsburg Post
Gazette (Tony Norman) Where have you gone, John McCain? You once said
you'd rather lose an election than lose a war. Is it worth winning an
election if it means forfeiting your soul on the altar of political
expediency?...Where is the honor in reciting lies for something as
transient as political advantage? What are we as voters supposed to
make of political ads that accuse Barack Obama of advocating sex
education for kindergartners?... Despite the intellectually dishonest
maneuvering of your campaign, many Americans admire you, John McCain.
Before you embraced the darkness, I was among those who disagreed
with your politics, but considered you honorable. Now it's hard to
look at you without seeing the scoundrels who made you what you are today.

<http://voices.kansascity.com/node/2045>Kansas City Star (Barb
Shelly) McCain stoops to deception, distortion: Maybe you've seen it.
The campaign ad cites the authoritative journal Education Week to
claim that Democrat Barack Obama has been missing in action on
education reform…Shamelessly misleading the public?...These are old
tricks we've been seeing in local elections for years. Distort.
Twist. Deceive. Damage. And the winning candidate drags a load of
public contempt into office. I had hoped for better from McCain…John
McCain may win the presidency this way, but he will lose the respect
he has acquired over the years.

<http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2008/articles/2008/09/12/pretzel_logic_from_the_mccain_campaign/>Boston
Globe (Scot Lehigh) Pretzel logic from the McCain campaign: Here's
the question voters should be asking themselves this week: Just how
stupid does the McCain-Palin campaign think I am? The answer: Dumb
enough to hoodwink with charges so contrived and cynical they make
your teeth ache…As the nonpartisan campaign watchdog FactCheck.org
has made clear, this is a thoroughly dishonest ad [Kindergarten]. No
matter. The McCain campaign has shown it's ready and willing to say
preposterous things to win.

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/12/AR2008091202594_pf.html>Washington
Post (David Ignatius) Stopping at nothing to win: Thinking about the
Palin choice, you begin to ponder other moves McCain has made on the
road to winning the Republican nomination. McCain was right a few
years ago to warn that Bush's tax cuts would have potentially ruinous
fiscal consequences; now he favors extending the cuts that have
produced a crisis of debt and deficit. Why did he switch his
position, other than political opportunism?...In May 2006, after
McCain had courted the Rev. Jerry Falwell in an effort to win
conservative support, I asked him if he was bending his principles
for the sake of winning. "I don't want it that badly," McCain
answered. "I will continue to do what is right…If that means I can't
get the Republican nomination, fine. I've had a happy life. The worst
thing I can do is sell my soul to the devil." He was right.

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/11/AR2008091102839_pf.html>Washington
Post (Eugene Robinson) The Scream Machine: There was a time when
Republicans campaigned on their ideas, programs and values. This year
-- lacking ideas, programs or values -- John McCain and Sarah Palin
are running for the White House on an elaborate fictional narrative
of victimhood…Creating the false impression that Democrats and
journalists are unfairly attacking Palin serves another purpose as
well: It helps create the impression that legitimate and necessary
questions about her record -- such as her one-time support for the
Bridge to Nowhere or her history of seeking the congressional
earmarks she now claims to reject -- are somehow out of bounds.

<http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-oped0914chapmansep14,0,2290710,print.column>Chicago
Tribune (Steve Chapman) To McCain the truth is expandable: McCain has
concluded that a fact-based case about Obama isn't enough to prevail
in November. So he has chosen to smear his opponent with ridiculous
claims that he thinks the American people are gullible enough to
believe. He has charged repeatedly that his opponent is willing to
lose a war to win an election. What's McCain willing to lose to
become president? Nothing so consequential as a war. Just his soul.

<http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/09/mccain_plays_dirty_on_obama_se.html>Chicago
Tribune (Frank James) "McCain plays dirty on Obama & sex-ed" So the
McCain ad, in the way it contorts the truth, is pretty shocking from
a candidate who has promised to bring change and reform to
Washington, a man who's urging Americans to live for a cause larger
than themselves. This is an old-fashioned, unreconstructed politics
whose goal, first and foremost, is to get the candidate elected, the
truth be damned. McCain has said he'd rather lose a campaign than
lose a war. But it appears from this ad he'd rather lose any purchase
he has on straight-talk than lose this presidential election.

<http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2008/09/sexed.html>Chicago
Tribune (Eric Zorn) `Sex ed' ad educates us on the character of John
McCain: The surprise came at the end: I'm John McCain and I approved
this message. With that infamous admission, McCain surrendered his
integrity and signaled a willingness to say or do anything to get
elected… We used to expect better from John McCain. No longer.

<http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/09/apology_not_accepted.html>TIME
(Joe Klein): A new rule here: Rather than do the McCain campaign's
bidding by wasting space on Senator Honor's daily lies and bilge--his
constant attempts to divert attention from substantive issues--I'm
going to assume that others will spend more than enough time on the
sewage that Steve Schmidt is shoveling and, from now on, try to stick
to the issues.

<http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/09/apology_not_accepted.html>TIME
(Joe Klein) Apology Not Accepted: he is responsible for one of the
sleaziest ads I've ever seen in presidential politics, so sleazy that
I won't abet its spread by linking to it, but here's the McClatchy
fact check.. I just can't wait for the moment when John
McCain--contrite and suddenly honorable again in victory or
defeat--talks about how things got a little out of control in the
passion of the moment. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig.

<http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/09/another_mccain_flipflop.html>TIME
(Joe Klein) Another McCain Flip Flop: Army Times, which is not--last
time I checked--a radical left wing publication, takes John McCain to
task for changing his position on the Future Combat Systems program.
This is yet another example of how running for President has driven
McCain off the deep end. In the past, he was one of the more
consistent voices against foolish Pentagon weapon systems. Here's a
program that McCain previously wanted to end. Then Obama says he
wants to slow-walk it...and McCain--reflexively, it appears, and
unable to recall that he previously opposed it--decides to support it.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/12/opinion/12krugman.html>New York
Times (Paul Krugman) Blizzard of Lies: I'm talking, instead, about
the relationship between the character of a campaign and that of the
administration that follows. Thus, the deceptive and dishonest 2000
Bush-Cheney campaign provided an all-too-revealing preview of things
to come…And now the team that hopes to form the next administration
is running a campaign that makes Bush-Cheney 2000 look like something
out of a civics class. What does that say about how that team would
run the country? What it says, I'd argue, is that the Obama campaign
is wrong to suggest that a McCain-Palin administration would just be
a continuation of Bush-Cheney. If the way John McCain and Sarah Palin
are campaigning is any indication, it would be much, much worse.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/12/opinion/12fri3.html>New York Times
(Editorial): The most disheartening aspect of a scurrilous Republican
ad falsely accusing Barack Obama of promoting sex education for
kindergarten children is its closing line: "I'm John McCain, and I
approved this message." This from that straight-talker of yore, who
fervidly denounced the 2004 Bush campaign's Swift Boat character
attacks on John Kerry's military record. What a difference four years
makes, especially after Mr. McCain secured the nomination by hiring
some of the same low-blow artists from the Bush campaign.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/13/us/politics/13madbox.html?ref=politics>New
York Times (Larry Rohter): The advertisement ["Disrespectful"] is the
latest in a number that resort to a dubious disregard for the facts.
The nonpartisan political analysis group Factcheck.org has already
criticized "Disrespectful" as "particularly egregious," saying that
it "goes down new paths of deception," and is "peddling false quotes."

<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/13/us/politics/13mccain.html?partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all>New
York Times (Michael Cooper and Jim Rutenberg) McCain Barbs Stirring
Outcry as Distortions: Mr. McCain came into the race promoting
himself as a truth teller and has long publicly deplored the kinds of
negative tactics that helped sink his candidacy in the Republican
primaries in 2000. But his strategy now reflects a calculation
advisers made this summer ­ over the strenuous objections of some
longtime hands who helped him build his "Straight Talk" image ­ to
shift the campaign more toward disqualifying Mr. Obama in the eyes of voters.

<http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/from-the-fact-c.html>ABC
News-Political Punch (Jake Tapper): One can only imagine what the
John McCain of 2004 – who called the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth
ads "dishonest and dishonorable" – would say about this ad… I suppose
one could twist this stuff any way you want if your only point is to
make an inflammatory charge. And win an election… The New York Times'
"Checkpoint" ("Ad on Sex Education Distorts Obama Policy "),
Factcheck.org ("Obama, contrary to the ad's insinuation, does not
support explicit sex education for kindergarteners") and the
Washington Post's Fact Checker ("McCain's 'Education' Spot Is
Dishonest, Deceptive") say the ad is a gross distortion. I agree --
in both senses of the word "gross."

<http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MCCAIN_STRETCHING_THE_TRUTH?SITE=PASCR&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT>AP
(Charles Babington): The "Straight Talk Express" has detoured into
doublespeak. Republican presidential nominee John McCain, a
self-proclaimed tell-it-like-it-is maverick, keeps saying his running
mate, Sarah Palin, killed the federally funded Bridge to Nowhere
when, in fact, she pulled her support only after the project became a
political embarrassment. He said Friday that Palin never asked for
money for lawmakers' pet projects as Alaska governor, even though she
has sought nearly $200 million in earmarks this year. He says Obama
would raise nearly everyone's taxes, when independent groups say 80
percent of families would get tax cuts instead.

-marc