Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  November 2008

VTBIRD November 2008

Pacific Loon & 5-Goose Day

Thomas Ford-Hutchinson <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 8 Nov 2008 16:10:05 -0500

	In what should be considered an epic day of birding, Mike Lester and
I first spotted a group of Canada Geese over the intersection of
Webster & Rt. 7 in Shelburn where two smaller Cackling Geese were
evident in the flock.  After following the flock and losing them we re-
found them circling over a corn field on Mt. Philo Rd. across from
intersection of McGuire Pent Rd.  As soon as we exited the car a small
flock of about 10 Geese took off with a GREATER-WHITE FRONTED GOOSE
trailing behind them.  I soon located THREE CACKLING GEESE
(Richardson's Sub-Sp.) in a group of ~250+ Canada Geese.  Mike noticed
a Canada Goose with a mottled head that he had previously seen at
Shelburn Bay (Likely the group that had been frequenting there?).  All
of the Geese took off after about 10mins and were last seen headed
South towards Dead Creek.  Other birds of note seen here were a Flying
Grey-morph Harrier and a Pileated Woodpecker.
	We eventually made our way to Charlotte Town beach were we had a Fly-
over group of close to a thousand Snow Geese, A Peregrine Falcon
making its way south, a Yellow-rumped Warbler, a flyover Snow Bunting,
and many other birds.
	Our Next Stop was the end of Harbor Rd. were we had a nice flock of
Common Goldeneye and some more horned Grebes along with another
calling Pileated Woodpecker, and a Red-bellied Woodpecker, etc.
Tufted Titmouse were at the intersection of Harbor and Bay Rd.
	At Shelburn Bay itself, a group of eager hunters had set themselves
up with many decoys that lined the shore.  The lone BRANT was still in
the bay although it might not be around much longer (unless they
taxidermy it) along with a lone Black Duck.
	After picking up Autumn Amicci and getting some Brunch we headed up
to Sandbar State Park.  Here there were many Ring-necked Ducks, Wood
Ducks, Green-wing Teal, a group of American Widgeon, a Great Blue
Heron, and two PIED-BILLED GREBES.
	We headed to the Colchester Causeway from the South Hero Side.  The
group of (1000+) scaup I found on Wed. were taking refuge in the bay
immediately to the right as you drive in.  Both Greater and Lesser
Scaup were present along with some more Bufflehead, a single
Goldeneye, and a few Common Loons.  Immediately behind the group I
found a PACIFIC LOON diving consistently along the shore.  Immediately
evident was it's small size, thin bill, sleek appearance, and sharply
contrasting dark neck/white throat.  We were able to study the bird in
detail when a kayaker approached and the bird raised itself out of the
water and flapped its wings.   A quick stop at West Shore Rd. to try
to relocated the bird only yielded another Common Loon.  The Scaup put
on an excellent show however and kept taking off and flying between a
point directly off the shore from us and back to the corner of the bay.
	After a quick stop at Colchester Pond we found the two previously
reported RUDDY DUCKS along with a small group of Hooded Mergansers, a
Common Merganser, 4 Canada Geese, and a muskrat.

Overall we had a very successful day today and found a total of 54
species of birds.

*Mount Philo Rd. (Mt. P), Charlotte Town Beach (CTB), Harbor Rd. (H),
Shelburn Bay (SB), Sandbar (S), Colchester Causeway (CC), Colchester
Pond (C).

1.	Pacific Loon (CC)
2.	Common Loon (CTB, CC)
3.	Pied-billed Grebe (S)
4.	Horned Grebe (CTB, CC)
5.	Great Blue Heron	 (S)
6.	Greater-White Fronted Goose (Mt. P)
7.	Snow Goose (CTB)
8.	Brant (SB)
9.	Canada Goose (Mt. P, S, CP)
10.	Cackling Goose (Mt. P)
11.	Wood Duck (S)
12.	American Widgeon (S)
13.	Green-winged Teal (S)
14.	Mallard (CTB, S, CC)
15.	American Black Duck (CTB, SB, S)
16.	Ring-necked Duck (S)
17.	Greater Scaup (CC)
18.	Lesser Scaup (CC)
19.	Common Goldeneye (H, CC)
20.	Bufflehead (CTB, CC)
21.	Hooded Merganser (S, CC, C)
22.	Red-breasted Merganser (CC)
23.	Common Merganser (CTB, H, CC, C)
24.	Ruddy Duck (C)
25.	Sharp-shinned Hawk (S)
26.	Red-tailed Hawk (Rd's everywhere)
27.	Peregrine Falcon (CTB)
28.	Ring-billed Gull (CTB, H, SB, S, CC)
29.	Great Black-backed Gull (CTB, H, SB, CC)
30.	Herring Gull (CTB, H, SB, CC, C)
31.	Bonaparte's Gull (CTB, H, SB, CC)
32.	Rock Pigeon (Mt. P., CTB, H, SB)
33.	Morning Dove (H)