]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CAREERSVCS-HEALTH Home

CAREERSVCS-HEALTH  December 2008

CAREERSVCS-HEALTH December 2008

Clinical Research Opportunity in the Department of Emergency Medicine at North Shore University Hospital

"Anne M. Sullivan" <[log in to unmask]>

Career Services Prehealth List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:57:03 -0500

multipart/alternative (116 lines) , text/plain (50 lines) , text/html (47 lines) , Academic Associate Flyer 2009-2010.pdf (47 lines) , Volunteer Research Intern Flyer 2009-2010.pdf (47 lines) , Academic Associate and Volunteer Research Internship Information.pdf (47 lines) , Academic Associate and Volunteer Research Internship Information.doc (47 lines)

Subject: Clinical Research Opportunity in the Department of Emergency
Medicine at North Shore University Hospital

As winter vacation is approaching, I would like to send out a reminder
regarding the Academic Associate Program in the Department of
Emergency Medicine at North Shore University Hospital.  I would like
to inform you about four to five open academic positions in our
department to start in June 2009.  Over the past ten years, the
academic leadership in the department has developed and successfully
implemented a research internship program that supports the research
infrastructure of the department.

We are currently recruiting premedical students in their senior year
or those who have recently graduated and are taking a year off prior
to attending medical school.  Academic Associates receive full
benefits, a competitive stipend, and most importantly, the opportunity
to work closely with experienced researchers, physicians and faculty
in the Emergency Department.

An Academic Associates' responsibilities include but are not limited
to assisting in the writing of abstract submissions and manuscripts,
for which they are frequently coauthors, aiding with presentations,
grant proposals, IRB protocols and a wide array of professional
scholarly activities.  The Associates have the opportunity to become
members of important departmental committees such as the Department of
Emergency Medicine Research Committee, and have further opportunities
to attend other high level academic meetings.  The Academic Associates
facilitate the coordination of special activities such as Continuing
Medical Education (CME) conferences.

The Academic Associates recruit, train and manage a team of twelve to
twenty-five volunteer research interns throughout the fall and spring
semester.  The Volunteer Research Internship is expanded every summer
to include over 50 students.  The Associates oversee the daily conduct
of multiple research studies, while instructing and coordinating the
activities of the research interns, who perform research-related tasks
such as chart reviews, administering surveys, data collection, data
entry, patient identification and literature searches.  The Associates
also organize educational activities for the research interns, which
serve as an additional benefit to both the research interns and
Academic Associates.

Proficiency with software applications such as Microsoft Access (data
for the majority of the research projects are stored in Access
databases), Excel, PowerPoint and Word is highly recommended among
applicants.  Strong ambition, motivation, the ability to multitask, as
well as interpersonal and leadership skills are absolutely necessary
for these positions.

It is our hope that you will convey this information to your
exceptional premedical students at your earliest convenience.
Enclosed is a copy of our information flyer and recruitment flyer for
both programs.  If you would like to further explore this opportunity,
please feel free to visit our website at,
http://nsuhed.com/academic-associates-programs.html.  Please post and
distribute it as you see appropriate.  We are currently accepting
applications and urge interested students to submit their cover
letter, résumé and unofficial transcript as soon as possible, as we
are aiming to make decisions by April 2009.  If you have any questions
or concerns, please feel free to contact me at 516-562-1223 or
[log in to unmask]  I would greatly appreciate it if you can inform me
if you send this information to your students.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,

Si Zhang, BS
Academic Associate
Department of Emergency Medicine
North Shore University Hospital
300 Community Drive
Manhasset, NY 11030
P: (516) 562-1223
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

  <<Academic Associate Flyer 2009-2010.pdf>>  <<Volunteer Research
Intern Flyer 2009-2010.pdf>>  <<Academic Associate and Volunteer
Research Internship Information.pdf>>  <<Academic Associate and
Volunteer Research Internship Information.doc>>

The information contained in this electronic e-mail transmission
and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual
or entity to whom or to which it is addressed, and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this communication
is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible
for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying
or disclosure of this communication and any attachment is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender immediately by telephone and electronic mail,
and delete the original communication and any attachment from any
computer, server or other electronic recording or storage device
or medium. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient is
not a waiver of any attorney-client, physician-patient or other
privilege. Thank you.

----- End forwarded message -----

Anne Sullivan
Pre Health Advisor
Career Services E Bldg L/L
656-3450
Appts can only be made by phone
href="http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ecareer/?Page=students/premed/index.html&SM=students_submenu.html">Pre-Health
  Website</a></html>

Dear Pre-Health Advisor, As winter vacation is approaching, I would like to send out a reminder regarding the Academic Associate Program in the Department of Emergency Medicine at North Shore University Hospital. I would like to inform you about four to five open academic positions in our department to start in June 2009. Over the past ten years, the academic leadership in the department has developed and successfully implemented a research internship program that supports the research infrastructure of the department. We are currently recruiting premedical students in their senior year or those who have recently graduated and are taking a year off prior to attending medical school. Academic Associates receive full benefits, a competitive stipend, and most importantly, the opportunity to work closely with experienced researchers, physicians and faculty in the Emergency Department. An Academic Associates' responsibilities include but are not limited to assisting in the writing of abstract submissions and manuscripts, for which they are frequently coauthors, aiding with presentations, grant proposals, IRB protocols and a wide array of professional scholarly activities. The Associates have the opportunity to become members of important departmental committees such as the Department of Emergency Medicine Research Committee, and have further opportunities to attend other high level academic meetings. The Academic Associates facilitate the coordination of special activities such as Continuing Medical Education (CME) conferences. The Academic Associates recruit, train and manage a team of twelve to twenty-five volunteer research interns throughout the fall and spring semester. The Volunteer Research Internship is expanded every summer to include over 50 students. The Associates oversee the daily conduct of multiple research studies, while instructing and coordinating the activities of the research interns, who perform research-related tasks such as chart reviews, administering surveys, data collection, data entry, patient identification and literature searches. The Associates also organize educational activities for the research interns, which serve as an additional benefit to both the research interns and Academic Associates. Proficiency with software applications such as Microsoft Access (data for the majority of the research projects are stored in Access databases), Excel, PowerPoint and Word is highly recommended among applicants. Strong ambition, motivation, the ability to multitask, as well as interpersonal and leadership skills are absolutely necessary for these positions. It is our hope that you will convey this information to your exceptional premedical students at your earliest convenience. Enclosed is a copy of our information flyer and recruitment flyer for both programs. If you would like to further explore this opportunity, please feel free to visit our website at, http://nsuhed.com/academic-associates-programs.html. Please post and distribute it as you see appropriate. We are currently accepting applications and urge interested students to submit their cover letter, résumé and unofficial transcript as soon as possible, as we are aiming to make decisions by April 2009. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at 516-562-1223 or [log in to unmask] I would greatly appreciate it if you can inform me if you send this information to your students. Thank you for your time. Best Regards, Si Zhang, BS Academic Associate Department of Emergency Medicine North Shore University Hospital 300 Community Drive Manhasset, NY 11030 P: (516) 562-1223 E-mail: [log in to unmask]  <<Academic Associate Flyer 2009-2010.pdf>> <<Volunteer Research Intern Flyer 2009-2010.pdf>> <<Academic Associate and Volunteer Research Internship Information.pdf>> <<Academic Associate and Volunteer Research Internship Information.doc>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The information contained in this electronic e-mail transmission and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom or to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or disclosure of this communication and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and electronic mail, and delete the original communication and any attachment from any computer, server or other electronic recording or storage device or medium. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient is not a waiver of any attorney-client, physician-patient or other privilege. Thank you.