]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  December 2008, Week 3

SKIVT-L December 2008, Week 3

MRG 12/14 or Edges? We don' need no steenkin edges.

telenaut <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:38:23 -0500

Expecting icy conditions, Friday night Ben K generously offered to help me
sharpen the "edges" (or what might be called "edges" if, by "edges," you
meant not the top, not the bottom, not the tail, not the tip, but the
"sides") of my trusty CMHs.

I watched him struggle, and remove great quantities of rust, but as for
anything he'd consider sharp, he said it was a hopeless cause. I said, not
to worry, I'm not really an edge sort of guy.

Saturday at 'bush, for this no-edge tele skier, was a mixed bag. (And BTW,
one correction: when I said "no cover" on Middle Earth, I meant "no loose
cover.")

But Sunday at MRG was nirvana.

Credit RogerK, and either his superior ski condition analysis skills or his
innate affinity for someplace other than where he is. After wandering bush
all day and finding that all good-skiing trails were a subset of all natural
snow trails (the converse did not necessarily apply. Case in point: Lixi's
Twist), Rog opined that "MRG tomorrow might be like the best of 'bush
today."

Caveat and I spent the evening pondering said advice and seeking other
corroborating opinions. John Atkinson, who we ran into at Mexican takeout,
figured MRG would be well chewed. Brian Mohr, whose path I crossed
unknowingly at Clearwater (as I sought nether relief), had just told Barry
that MRG Saturday had been great.

(Kayaking aside: Barry also tried to convince me that the Mad River was at a
super level. Sorry. I was still cold from Saturday's skiing. In this weather
even I had no desire to jump in a river.)

Ben and I figured, well, maybe the MRG opening day crowds had been small
enough to not grind everything down to ice, and big enough to cut up the
death crust we'd been hearing about. TEO chimed in on how it'd kcus. Then
the poet, who had graciously agreed to meet us, even at 'bush, told us how
MRG Saturday afternoon had been terrific. Adding, lest he appear too
definitive, "of course, I'm happy on grass."

Ben and I figured, well, if we go to MRG, we'll for sure ski different
trails, so let's do that.

Oh boy, was it ever the right call.

Morning hellos to PeterS and a warmup off the double. After a quick groomed
traverse, we cut into the cut powder and within 15 seconds I fall. This
after a rare no-fall day the day before at Sugarbush. Not a good omen.

We meet with Justin and it's off to the races. Ben, with his big swooping
lines, chasing after the noodling poet, on what he called his bucking
broncos, and me with my cautious, half-circle turns, chasing after Ben. It
worked.

We did Cat-bowl, which had been groomed to a light hint-of-moguls. The snow
was about like Stein's had been, and I tried to keep track of what I'd
learned yesterday: that I did ok if I remembered to keep reaching down the
hill for my pole plants, and keep making my turns on the mogul tops. It was
going pretty good.

We did a Paradise run and the snow was about like Paradise at bush, which is
to say a bit scrapier than other places. Made a 4' ice huck, which for me is
a big deal, but I wasn't skiing well.

Then over to the double and something clicked. I realized that the dreaded
crust was not so bad at all. Kinda like, hmm, the crust on a crème brulee.
It'd break when you needed it to. No, not quite like a crème brulee. Even
that was too crisp. Kinda like, kinda like... a sugar-water pastry glaze. It
broke at the slightest touch.

(Slightest touch of the ski, that is. Ben tried to break some crust with his
face. The crust won. Ben looked muy macho for the rest of the day.)

I was setting my turn angle, following it through the crustfields and
listing to the delightful zksrp-sound coming from my feet. Scrumptious. Next
run was Partridge, which area of MRG is always a favorite for me, and the
snow turned to perfect for this no-edge skier.

It wasn't light, but neither was it cement. The crust gave way instantly
under the ski, but seemed to hold the powder underneath neatly in place so
that every turn felt solid as butter. And I've decided that Partridge is
really my ideal pitch. Just steep enough to be fun, and not steep enough to
be scary. I was sinking every turn into the light crust. And every turn
tracked smooth as can be. No edge needed. Just snow for support.

Reach downhill. Turn. Reach downhill. Turn. Reach downhill. Turn. Where
moguls appeared, they were guideposts for the easiest of unweighted turns. I
was a grinnin' fool.

The rest of the day was more and more and more of the same. We did Chute,
which is a trail I usually try hard to avoid. It was loverly. We did Fall
line. Same.

I expounded on my theory of life-is-a-snow-globe (a particularly big one, it
had struck me as we rode the single and my gaze stretched sideways and back
to the mountain horizons). Justin humored me. Ben thought I was joking.
Maybe someone out there in skivittle land knows what I mean? Basic third eye
stuff.

End of day was 20th. The packed traverse in was soft and zippy. The main
line down was sweet but alas, my stamina was starting to fade. Had a few
good sequences, and a few where the will-power just wasn't there to get that
front knee forward and trust in the tele. Did squishy parallels that sucked
the fun out of functional. No problem. The day was already encased in a
good-day's-ski glow. It was early afternoon and I felt like I'd already
gotten way more than a day's worth of hero turns.

Quick initram toasts in the parking lot. Quick showers at the lodge. And
Caveat and I shared an easy highway cruise south. It was the sweet kind of
driving where every car turn feels like a ski turn and the miles went by
quickly.

Justin, Ben, Peter who I saw for a minute, and Wes and William who I saw for
even less than that (side note: it appears to me that Papa Wes has already
reached the phase of parenthood where keeping up with the kid becomes more a
matter of yelling "wait" that skiing well), to all of you, it was great
being back on your snowy turf Sunday.

--tn