]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT  January 2009

SCHOOL-IT January 2009

Reflections - Happy Anniversary to Me...

Bryan Thompson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:39:15 -0500

All,

This e-mail is being sent to all of my co-workers, friends, and family.

A year and two days ago, my wife, Jen drove me to the hospital because
of a pain in my side. I must have thought I was sick enough to go
because I normally kick and scratch before going to the hospital for
anything. I donít remember much of that visit, but I was told that I
had an infection, and also pneumonia. I remember agreeing to be sent
in an ambulance to Fletcher Allen because we were living in Montpelier
at the time, and I remember the nurse at Fletcher Allen being curious
if I could get up out of the bed to use the bathroom. I remember
checking my e-mail messages and seeing a request from Drew Blanchard
to get together for some reason, and I ignored the message because I
was going to see him the next day.

I donít remember anything after that Ė but I have been told that I
collapsed trying to get out of the bed, and the doctors found out that
the infection I had was more serious than they had originally thought.
Some of this information, I may be making up to make the story more
interesting, or I just donít know, or remember. To keep this story
from being ten pages long, Iíll get to the end of the story. After
staying in the hospital for five months getting rid of pneumonia, and
the infection, and getting my kidneyís back in working order after
failing, I was transferred to Fanny Allen Hospital to recover for
another month.

I do remember somewhat, and I have been told that the only thing I
cared about was getting back to work. I worried about federal
paperwork that was due, and I was worried that I was going to miss a
week of sick time. I remember asking to see a calendar to see that I
was in the hospital for so long, and I just couldnít stand seeing the
calendar and threw it across the room Ė ok, maybe I just dropped it to
the floor, who knows?

The first day I remember being conscious, I looked around the room to
see at least sixty to eighty cards sent by family, friends, co-
workers, and letters and cards sent by students at the school. These
cards, notes, and pictures made me very happy. Some of them also made
me very sad because they were from the kids at the school with crying
sad faces saying they missed me. To this date, I havenít been able to
open the cards and notes to read what they say. Each time I try, I
become very emotional and have to put them away. I also have notes I
wrote in the hospital communicating my wants and needs. Aside from not
being able to read my own handwriting, it is also very emotional
reading them. One of the worst scribbles I read was ďwhy do you keep
calling me Bryan?Ē Whoa, I was on some serious drugs. Mind altering
drugs to help me not remember my hospital stay.

Anyhow, to the meat of the matter: I donít know why I survived. Iím
not a very religious or spiritual person. Many people have told me
that they lit candles for me, prayed for me, and kept me in their
thoughts. Since being back to work, co-worker family members have
passed away, and I wonder what made me so special to have a third
chance. I say third because I have had a few heart operations since I
was a baby. The only thing I can say or do is thank you for being
there for me. I want to thank my wife Jen for taking care of my
wonderful three kids, and herself while I was gone. I want to thank my
cardiologist, and a very big team of doctors, nurses, and other
hospital staff for keeping me alive, and not giving up on me. I want
to thank John Malcovsky for visiting me every day of my hospital stay
Ė at least thatís what Iíve been told. I also want to thank the all of
the staff at Winooski School District for helping move my family from
Montpelier to Winooski, sending me cards, and just being there for me.
I also want to thank the Winooski School Board for paying me, even
after nine years of hoarded sick time was used up. Also of course, I
want to thank all of my friends and family for being there for me,
including one of my college apartment mates who sent a grocery gift
card, and then about a month after I was home had his own problems of
multiple heart attacks and strokes. His problem really opened my eyes
that this can really happen to anyone.

To anyone actually still reading this e-mail, thank you so much! I
really did not know what I had until it was almost taken away from me.
Also to anyone still reading this message, I apologize for writing all
over the map, and possible grammar problems. I really do speak good. I
am typing this message without going back to read it. I hope it made
sense.

Now, get back to work!

This has been an announcement from Bryan Thompson.

Bryan Thompson
Technology Coordinator
Winooski School District
60 Normand Street