]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT  March 2009

SCHOOL-IT March 2009

Re: Web Page Overhaul..., also integrating technology - advice?

Bob Wickberg <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:22:29 -0400

Web site: the career center web design teacher does ours, he works it into
the curriculum, and does himself what the kids aren't yet capable of.
Teachers with their own sites use a variety of methods: Google, sites
built from scratch using Dreamweaver (a lot of the teachers have taken web
design courses at Marlboro College as part of their PD), or we have a
restricted use wiki they could just tag on to.  We tried using our First
Class server as a web server for our Asia-American Cultural Exchange
program, but kids found once they got to China that a lot of the time the
pictures on their pages wouldn't load, they'd get the page, but then
they'd get a lot of those little boxes with the x where the picture should
be.

Carts: we have four of them currently, and are getting two more.  You're
absolutely right, they're a pain in the neck, for all the reasons you
mention, and more.  If you've got space for labs, go for it.  We don't
have a half dozen spare rooms in the building, though, so the only way
we're gonna get that many people using computers at one time is with carts.

Netbooks: I just got an Aspire One for Christmas, and I love it.  I'm
starting to think 1-1 may be a reality some day, after all.  I look
forward to it, if/when it happens.

Bob Wickberg
Technology Coordinator
802-451-3418