LISTSERV Archives

USDEBATE Home

USDEBATE  March 2009

USDEBATE March 2009

Arrival Info for USU 2009 in Vermont

Alfred Snider <[log in to unmask]>

USA Debating in the WUDC Format <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:17:44 -0400

Dear Friends in Debate,

We look forward to welcoming you next weekend to the University of
Vermont campus for the 2009 United States Universities Debating
Championship. As of now we have 147 teams enrolled and it looks like it
is going to be a great competition and a fun time.

Here is some arrival and start-up information that might make your life
easier.

TRANSPORT:
∑ Directions are on our Googlemaps website you can see where you are
going as well as get directions from where you are. You can find it at
http://debate.uvm.edu/debateblog/usu/Maps.html You can see the parking
lot behind our offices and how you can enter the lot from South Prospect
Street.
∑ Shuttles will run from the front desk of the Windjammer between 10 AM
and 1 PM on Friday.
∑ If arriving by air at BTV, catch a taxi right out front and have them
take you to your hotel. They are all very close, so it will be a fairly
cheap taxi ride.
∑ If you need a taxi at any other time, call Benways at 802-862-1010.

REGISTRATION:
∑ If you arrive on Thursday, please call Tuna at 802-238-8345 to confirm
your arrival and tell him of any changes in your delegation.
∑ Registration is Friday 10 AM-1 PM at 475 Main, Huber House, where the
debate offices are. Please enter through the front door.
http://debate.uvm.edu/debateblog/usu/Maps.html
∑ You will register in the Edwin Lawrence Room and pay fees, confirm
names, and take care of administrative details.
∑ Feel free to look around at our facilities. We are proud of them.
∑ Drop into Tuna’s office or David & Nicole’s to chat.
∑ After that, you will exit through the back door and collect your SWAG
(stuff we all get) bags as you exit. SWAG bags can be full and there is
one for each person in your delegation, so bring a friend to help you
carry them if you have a large delegation.

BRIEFINGS:
∑ All Friday briefings will take place in 235 Marsh Life Science. Maps
are available when you arrive in your SWAG bag.
∑ Judges should go to 235 March Life Science and check with the desk at
the entrance so you can be marked as present. This check-in will start
at Noon.
∑ The judge briefing is mandatory for all judges and begins at 1 PM. You
will be briefed by CA Neill Harvey-Smith, take a short test, and then be
asked to score a sample debate. We anticipate being finished by 3 PM.
∑ When finished, judges are free to roam campus but should be checked in
at Lafayette 207 by 4 PM. Snacks and coffee are available in the Davis
Center, between Marsh and Lafayette.
∑ The debater briefing is mandatory.
∑ Debaters should start checking in at 2:30 PM but do not enter the room
until the judge briefing has concluded.
∑ The debater briefing will take place at 3:30 PM and will again be held
by Neill Harvey-Smith.
∑ At 3:40 we will eliminate from the Round One draw teams that have not
checked in.
∑ At 4:30 we will post the draw and announce the motion.
∑ Volunteers will be available to assist you in finding your building
and room.
∑ At 4:30 PM the draw for judges will take place in 207 Lafayette and
ballots will be distributed.
∑ WARNING if your judges do not appear to judge their assignments the
teams they are affiliated with may be dropped from the pairings.

NEW TO THE FORMAT?
Look at http://debate.uvm.edu/dcpdf/sambaworldsguidelines.pdf and also
at http://flynn.debating.net/colmmain_tut.htm

HIRED JUDGING:
If you need to hire a judge contact us NOW as we have some judges who
are available for hire. You will pay them and help them find housing in
return. Negotiate on your own. We have invited some skilled judges from
Canada and the USA and this seemed like the best way to get quality
extra judging. Send an email to [log in to unmask] about this. We
will also be emailing those who do not have sufficient judges with this
offer.

EXPERIENCE FRIDAY NIGHT IN BURLINGTON, VERMONT
Burlington is a four-season tourist town. It is full of restaurants,
interesting shops, watering holes, coffee shops, street performers and a
lot more. Just head down the hill (5-8 minute walk) from campus on
Friday night and enjoy our downtown area, called “Church Street,” an
award winning urban center. Burlington was recently named #1 city in
America in terms of quality of life. Find out why.

EXPERIENCE SATURDAY NIGHT IN BURLINGTON, VERMONT
∑ We will be having a delegation leader dinner on Saturday night to
welcome all leaders of delegations. We will serve a delicious meal,
offer a cash bar, and then turn to the business of deciding where the
2010 USU will be held. We hope to be done with all business by 10 PM,
but feel free to hang around for conversation, drinks and perhaps some
additional snacks. Shuttles will be available. A secret SAMBA meeting
may be held.
∑ We will be having a BREAK NIGHT PARTY in Burlington. There will be
refreshments, music, dancing and fun at the Odd Fellows Lodge (how
appropriate) at 1416 North Avenue in Burlington. Shuttles will be
available.

If you have any questions please email me at [log in to unmask] or
call me at 802-238-8345.

See you here!

Tuna

--