SCHOOL-IT March 2009

Re: Pizza and conference planning

Jack Barnes <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:02:44 -0400

I can't make it to todays meeting so I fully expect to be receiving multiple assignments.  I want you to know in advance that I would be happy to do anything I can to make the conference a success.  I am slowly gaining experience with ISCSI and the file storage options that it offers and would be happy to do something at the conference around that.

We at CCSU are doing a lot with Zenworks.  Since it will run on Windows or Linux, and will manage just about anything, schools that have not been Novell centered may be interested in taking a look.

An idea for a session or two would be:

When installing Linux, what are the advantages of the various file systems and how should the drives be partitioned.  Specifically as it relates to then connecting partitioned space via ISCSI.  An example would be that you would put any log files that will grow on a different partition thatn the OS so that if the logs got to be too big, they wouldn't trash the server.  I'm sure there are other tricks or best practices when it comes to partitioning and SAN connections.  I'm not referring to the single service server but to a network centric server that will be used for file storage and backup to disk backup.

Not sure who would have the skills and experience to run this kind of session.  Maybe someone from Champlain College.

Jack W. Barnes, CNE
Network Administrator
CCSU
Office 802-857-7000
Ext. 1039
Cell 802-318-0976
Fax 802-879-8197

>>> Susan Briere <[log in to unmask]> 03/11/09 11:56 AM >>>
Craig said>> We could have up to 15 sessions at our tech meeting!!!

Susan daydreams about her Tech Conference wish list....

What about a couple of sessions devoted to the topic of designing networks
that keep sensitive data secure AND provide a level of accessibility that
supports a shared, open learning environment. I'm thinking back to a lively
thread earlier this school year where we discussed how we accommodate, or
don't accommodate, personal laptops and other wireless networked devices on
our school networks. How do we plan, and design, for the onslaught of mobile
devices coming down the pike in the not-too-distant future?

Two terrific presenters would be Gary Kessler and Chris Brenton.

Many already know Gary Kessler, Director, Champlain College Center for
Digital Investigation (C3DI) and Technical Adviser, VT Internet Crimes Task
Force, as well as being a SANS Instructor and MUCH MORE! Gary has presented
at the Tech Conference in the past and possibly we would be lucky enough to
have him again.

Chris Brenton is an independent consultant who has authored many books
including Mastering Network Security, Mastering Cisco Routers, and Active
Defense: A Comprehensive Guide to Network Security. Chris is the lead author
for the SANS Firewalls, Perimeter Protection and VPNs course. He also
maintains courseware in the advanced Audit course in addition to being a
SANS Instructor and a lead incident handler for SANS Internet Storm Center.
Chris lives somewhere in Vermont - I think Gary would have his contact
information..

Either Gary or Chris would be great choices for a keynote speaker, as well.

Just dreamin',
Susan Briere
Technical Support, RNESU

> If you can't make it, please think about what you would be interested in
> seeing, suggestions for a key note speaker.  Requests for what kind of
> Pizza for lunch!
>
> Post your thoughts here on School-IT.
>
> Sincerely
> Craig Lyndes
> FCSU

The information contained in this communication, including any
attachments, is confidential,constitutes privileged
communication, and is intended only for the use of the
addressee. This message may not be forwarded without prior
consent from the sender. The information in this e-mail is
also protected by the rights afforded under Family Educational
Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and school district policies.
Any unauthorized use, forwarding, distribution,disclosure,
printing or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
us immediately at 802-879-8192 or return e-mail,and delete any
copies of this message immediately.  Any inadvertent disclosure
of this communication shall not compromise the confidential
nature of the communication.