]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

EWB Home

EWB  April 2009

EWB April 2009

Good luck seniors; thank you everyone; great new EWB advisor!

Alison Pechenick <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:51:17 -0400

Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you, Abby et al, for a truly special final meeting
and send-off party last evening.  Very classy, and reflected our
persona rather nicely, I thought.

To our seniors (wow !!) - and sorry if I've forgotten anyone - and
yes, I know the difference between Andy and Shanta....

- Enzymatic Jacquie, Andy, Kelly, Nate, Owen and Shanta -

Thank you so much for three precious years of EWB devotion and hard
work - we will miss you, wish you much luck, and hope you stay in touch!

We are extremely lucky to have co-advisor Mike Rosen Extraordinaire
and the VT-EWB professional chapter watching our back, with the
regular and very
constructive support of our IBM friends Sebastian and Carlos, and the
terrific mentorship, both pragmatic and altruistic, of our advisory
board chair, Peter DeGraff.  And of course, the CDAE-CEMS bridge with
Dan Baker and Nicole Mason is something rather special in the EWB
National annals.

A personal thank you to Jacquie for scooping me up three years ago as
faculty advisor to her fledgling chapter, and to the founders for the
fond memories of those early Wednesday evenings in Perkins.

And as I now yield that advising role in order to prepare for my Ph.D.
comprehensive exams (environmental engineering :-) while continuing to
work full-time, I am Truly Delighted to announce that my (new to UVM
this January) colleague and teacher, Arne Bomblies, has readily agreed
to advise EWB in my stead.

Drop in to see the photo on his office wall (corner office next to
Prof. Rizzo), look at his credentials (but he smiles more than that
picture suggests), and see what you think:

http://www.uvm.edu/~cems/?Page=employee/newfaculty2008.php&SM=employee/_employeemenu.html

Google-search his name (what a kick!) and discover Motorcycle
Travellers' Stories (from North to South America), see-saw oscillation
between Amazon and Congo basins, stream gauges in Antarctica,
sustainable malaria vector control in an African village,...

Folks, I think we've found a perfect match!  Makes me want to stick around.

So please join me in thanking Prof. Bomblies (Dank je wel, tack hej,
danke sehr, merci beaucoup, y muchas gracias!) promise to make him
feel welcome in your geomatics course, and (if he's teaching CE160)
give him a laminar ride as you rising juniors ("We're young, we're
fresh...") hit fluids this fall...especially as you'll be glad to hear
he's a Matlab person too, heh heh :-).

To everyone, enjoy this super EWB ride!

Sincerely,

Alison