Re: Single Citation Matcher

David Midyette <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 Apr 2009 01:49:58 -0700

I have to admit that moment of terror upon learning of the demise of our beloved SCM and of course my follow-up was, "but we're keeping the BCM, right?"  I think the greatest issue here is that using the advanced search will require a little more instruction on our behalf for those patrons who actually use it on a regular basis.  I'm over the shock now and can actually see the utility in the switch to some degree.  You do have a little more flexibility in field choices (perhaps NLM should limit this just a bit), and with the all fields search you can really get at those tangled citations.  In my years of experience, I have found citations that SCM did not locate, and it has always nagged at me just a bit.  In the end, we really are at their mercy to a certain degree, and perhaps they have even greater plans to roll out in the future.  At the very least, I would suggest that everyone take one of the update courses being offered by NNLM.  It's really
 beneficial, even for the seasoned searcher, and I think it might allay some of these fears about SCM.

Tell you what, I'll give up my SCM if you give me proximity searching or concept linking . . .

Just my $0.02 (hmmm, with the new taxes in CA, make that $0.04)

J. David Midyette, MA, MLIS, AHIP

________________________________
From: Julie Stielstra <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:40:51 AM
Subject: Re: Single Citation Matcher

Umm, easy for a systems librarian to say, but for those of us solo flyers
with no dedicated IT support, I don't see myself doing any
reverse-engineering  projects any time soon, not with half a dozen searches
and double that number of ILLs awaiting me...  I want and need the experts
to build me the tools I need to help me get my job done; if I wanted to
build them myself, I'd work for NLM's systems department.  :-(

--
Julie Stielstra, MLS
Supervisor, Knowledge Resource Library

"Never...be mean in anything; never be false; never be cruel. Avoid those
three vices...and I can always be hopeful of you."  -- Betsy Trotwood to
David Copperfield (Charles Dickens)