SCHOOL-IT May 2009

Re: Connect to Multiple WAPs

Bob Wickberg <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 May 2009 08:27:21 -0400

Just to add a little more info to  this thread:

If the adjacent WAPs do share the same frequency, they should work anyway.
 I've sene it work.  The problem is they have to share the same frequency,
so they're sharing the same bandwidth.  This is true even if the WAPs use
different SSIDs.

When assigning wireless G WAPs to frequencies, you'll see 11 channels
listed as possibilities, but if you delve into this further, you'll find
that although the carrier frequencies are slightly different, the total
channel bandwidths overlap.  So if you want to assign them two adjacent
WAPs to frequencies that are totally non-overlapping, you have to limit
yourself to using only channels 1,6, and 11.  You can's just take 11 waps
and put them on 1 through 11, and expect no degradation of performance.

Bob Wickberg
Technology Coordinator
802-451-3418