VTBIRD May 2009

Baille Birdathon '09 Results

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 24 May 2009 00:03:10 +0000

                           Baille Birdathon 2009

I love participating in this
bird hunt around Lake Champlain!
There are so many great spots to go to, but not enough time to do them
all.  Nevertheless, I racked up 128
species within the required 24 hours, including several hours sleep in the
middle.

I started out after breakfast
on Friday the 15th in Essex, NY, and finished on Saturday the 16th
in Port Kent, NY, having covered several areas down along the west coast of
Lake Champlain to the bridge at Crowne Point, over as far as Middlebury, back
up the east coast of the lake, and back across on the ferry and up to Port
Kent.

I picked up quite a few birds
in Essex, around my motherís house and in the harbour.  Then I drove along the lake shore
through Westport and down to Crowne Point.  Here I made a stop at the Crowne Point Banding Station where
there are always lovely birds to find, and interesting people to talk with,
especially Mike Peterson and his associates and guests.  I heard and saw a Tennessee Warbler, my
first in years.   Mike was
delighted with the ďCanadianĒ doughnuts I brought with me.

Next was another favourite
spot, Dead Creek in Addison, VT.
It never disappoints me.  I
took the time to walk along the west trail and found a pair of Scarlet
Tanagers, again a species I havenít seen in a long time.  I then headed for Middlebury, passing
by Snake Mountain.  I stopped at
the base of that trail and found my first ever Golden-wing Warbler, and a
Cerulean Warbler among others. I then drove up to Vergennes and the Otter Creek
complex.  Caspian Terns, Bald
Eagle, many species to add to my list.
I continued on towards Shelburne Pond.  Sometimes making an error is to oneís advantage, and so it
was for me.  I missed the Pond Rd
and realized it shortly after.  I
turned around at the next intersection.
While

driving back to my road, I
saw a Great Egret fise up out of the marshy area where Muddy Creek joins
Shelburne Pond.  I did make it to
the Pond.  I then chose to make my
way over to Shelburne Point and had Great Black-backed Gull and Fish Crow off
shore there.  Back to the ferry at
Charlotte, and up to Willsboro Point.
What luck to have a Peregrine flying over from somewhere by the Point
towards the other side of the Bay, most likely 1 of the pair residing
there.  I could also see a male
Bufflehead across from the boat launch.

Home for the night to
recharge my batteries!  The next
morning I had reserved for Noblewood Park and Wickham Marsh.  I was able to get Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
and a Wood Thrush in Noblewood, which was rather quiet this time.  Then on to Wickham Marsh for my last
birds, Willow Flycatcher and Virginia Rail among others.  I was done.

I canít end without
mentioning non-bird sights: White-tailed Deer, Red Fox ( Crowne Point by the
barn ), goslings everywhere, turtles, camel ( Round Barn ), forsythia in full
bloom and lots of lilac bushes everywhere.  What a beautiful land we live in!

Many ďThank YouĒs to my
sponsors! My list follows below.

Common Loon

Pied-billed Grebe

Double-crested Cormorant

American Bittern

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

Green Heron

Black-crowned Heron

Turkey Vulture

Canada Goose

Wood duck

Mallard

Blue-winged Teal

Bufflehead

Common Goldeneye

Common Merganser

Osprey

Northern Harrier

Red-tailed Hawk

Bald Eagle

American Kestrel

Peregrine

Ruffed Grouse

Wild Turkey

Virginia Rail

Killdeer

Spotted Sandpiper

Least Sandpiper

Wilsonís Snipe

Ring-billed Gull

Herring Gull

Great Black-backed Gull

Caspian Tern

Common Tern

Rock Pigeon

Mourning dove

Chimney Swift

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Belted Kingfisher

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Acadian Flycatcher

Adler Flycatcher

Willow flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Great Crested Flycatcher

Eastern Kingbird

Blue-headed Vireo

Warbling Vireo

Philadelphia Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Blue Jay

American Crow

Fish Crow

Common Raven

Purple Martin

Tree Swallow

Cliff Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse

Red-breasted Nuthatch

White-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

House Wren

Winter Wren

Marsh Wren

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Eastern Bluebird

Hermit Thrush

Wood Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwing

European Starling

Blue-wing Warbler

Golden-wing Warbler

Tennessee Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Northern Parula

Yellow Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Magnolia Warbler

Cape May Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Pine Warbler

Prairie Warbler

Palm Warbler

Bay-breasted Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Cerulean Warbler

Black-&-White Warbler

American Redstart

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush

Common Yellowthroat

Wilsonís Warbler

Scarlet Tanager

Eastern Towhee

Chipping Sparrow

Field Sparrow

Vesper Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

Grasshopper Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincolnís Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Northern Cardinal

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Indigo Bunting

Bobolink

Red-winged blackbird

Eastern Meadowlark

Common Grackle

Brown-headed Cowbird

Orchard Oriole

Baltimore Oriole

House Finch

American Goldfinch

House Sparrow

Eve Ticknor Peregrine Falcon Watch Coordinator Ottawa Field Naturalists Club 38-9 Gillespie Cres
Ottawa, Ontario
K1V 9T5 613-859-9545
613-737-7551

The road to the future is always under construction.