MEDLIB-L June 2009, Week 4

Laura Hickerson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:33:44 -0600

Thanks to everyone that responded.  Any other comments still
appreciated.
Sorry for the delay in getting the summary together

Original question:  Do any of your institutions use a CMS / portal
platform for your website?  Or do you have any experience / knowledge
about the use of such a system within an organization?  If so, would you
be willing to share any experiences with the product?

*********************
(   )  uses SiteExecutive as their CMS.  I am responsible for changing
content on the library's intranet page; however, all changes to the page
must be approved by our public relations department, so there is a delay
in getting changes implemented.  Also, if I need to change something on
our community health library's page on our Internet site, PR must do it.
The CMS is helpful for people who have to manage their department's page
but do not know anything about web design but can be limiting to others
who want to do more advanced work (we cannot see the original HTML in
SiteExecutive, for example).  I believe a CMS was put in place to have a
consistent look and feel to the intra/internet site and so that the
organization could exert more control of the content

****************************
The one that I have used most is Plone, an open source CMS. I think of
libraries as open source information networks so open source software
appeals to me.

I have used Plone in a previous life where I developed a site for
assement coordinators: http://assessnow.info/. Since then I have also
worked for a web design company that used Plone for an indigent care
clinic in western Colorado. Both sites were designed so that people
working in those places could produce, manage, and publish the content
on the web. A librarian in Oregon created a Plone-based toolkit for
small public libraries to use (http://plinkit.org/)

*Pros*:
Uses templates and a rich text editor so no one needs to know HTML/XHTML
Uses styles to maintain a uniform look and feel Meets 508 requirements
and works well with JAWS screen reader Comes with a default workflow so
you can have writers/editors/publishers Supports a subset of metadata
(title, creator, keyword, etc) Built-in sitemap application Default
search engine supports doc & pdf content - some assembly required ;-)
Cross platform Worldwide customer base provides informal support There
is priced support/hosting

*Cons*:
Wants lots of RAM
Does not run on standard LAMP Servers (Linux Apache mySql, PHP) Requires
knowledgeable folks to develop templates/style sheets Requires developer
to create custom content

*********************

Someone reported using Rhythmyx.

************************
We have a decentralized CMS here.  Our current vendor is Spire Media.
I've also used a company called Imulus.  It can work if there is someone
to coordinate the whole thing, provide training, set policies and
editorial conventions, page approval procedures, etc.  There's something
to be said for a Web Master, even if there's decentralized content
input....... My main problem has been finding time to work on our web
page, remind myself of how to do stuff, etc.  Also, I don't have a good
sense of web design or graphics--even with rules about colors, fonts,
etc., whereas a Webmaster does.

*********************
We use FarCry.  A content management system is really not much different
from a WYSIWYG from the end-user standpoint, unless you get some really
sophisticated programming education and learn to write code for the
software package you purchase.

It's a mixed bag.  I already had an extensive web site up and running
when the hospital hired a web design company to come in and spruce up
our site and convert over.  It was a long wait and all web changes were
frozen for over a year.  Because of this, my site is badly in need of
overhaul.  I'm planning to tackle it this summer.

I find our version clunky and slow comparative to using a WYSIWYG, or
even to using straight HTML code, itself slow and clunky.  Also, I had
full autonomy before the implementaiton, but now have to have pages
"approved" by marketing.  I guess it all depends on how your
organization is planning to structure use of the software.

Unfortunately, getting help when you have a question seems harder.  Lots
of people use FrontPage or Dreamweaver & you can always look online for
tricks and tips.  Not so much with content management.

************************************
About a year ago, we installed SharePoint/MOSS 2007 to replace our
intranet (I work at a health insurance company).  Since then we have
created department sites, project sites, automated forms and been
exceptionally happy with it.  Once the product is installed, much of the
web work can be done by anyone with some aptitude and instruction.......
we use it for our internet site as well.  It doesn't have the appearance
of a "typical SharePoint site" but it gives you an idea on what is
possible.
One of the reasons we went with SharePoint (in addition to the ability
to create web pages) is that it has a document repository that we needed
for shared documents.  It can be set up with different security for each
repository.  I could go on and on...... We just had a meeting about
"SharePoint" one year later and were astounded at how much we have
accomplished and how happy people are with it.

********************
I have used Share Point at several locations. It is very easy to use and
set-up.  It provides a classroom type webpage, or just a plain webpage.
You can add a wiki, blog, calendar, links, or other information.

You can customize some if it, but not all. This is the bad part of Share
Point IMO. You cannot add too much customizing, but if you want all the
webpages to look alike then this is what you should use. It's kind of
the cookie cutter approach. Some differences but basically the same.

Laura Hickerson, MS, MLS, AHIP
Librarian, Connie Delaney Medical Library
Valley View Hospital
1906 Blake Avenue
Glenwood Springs, Colorado 81601
970-384-6951
<[log in to unmask]&YY=26016" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]&YY=26016
&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b>