SCHOOL-IT July 2009

Re: Toshiba laptop

Stephen Barner <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:07:16 -0400

They are Dell netbooks running Ubuntu and Dell's own cart.

--Steve

*************************
Stephen Barner
South Burlington High School
550 Dorset Street
South Burlington, VT 05403
(802) 652-7015
(802) 652-7013 (Fax)
http://sbhs.sbschools.net
http://vtacad.net
---

"When we study music, we practice... because there is no other way to become a musician. Neither can we become engineers by just studying a textbook, because practical experience is needed to correlate the so-called theory with practice." Charles Franklin Kettering

________________________________

From: School Information Technology Discussion on behalf of Diane Lemiux
Sent: Sat 7/18/2009 10:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Toshiba laptop

Hi Steve
What kind of netbooks and carts are you using?
Diane

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 18, 2009, at 7:19 AM, Stephen Barner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Stay away from any laptop with the AMD Athlon processor, as found on many budget notebooks.  Its architecture is actually that of a desktop processor; it runs hot and battery life is terrible.  AMD seems to have solved all the application and OS compatibility problems that plagued their processors in the distant past.

South Burlington High School is piloting netbooks this year, having replaced a 25-station academic lab with a cart of 25 netbooks with another 15 or so distributed to classrooms.  While we recognize the limitations of these devices, our sense is that they will handle the vast majority of uses for which the computers in the lab were being used.  We are hoping that the enhanced portability and increased number of computers available will encourage the use of the netbooks for "Just-In-Time Computing" and that the netbooks will be popular enough with teachers and students that we can eventually expand to some kind of one-to-one computing scenario.  People are already excited about the cart that we got for the lab-pack of netbooks, as it takes up much less space than most standard laptop carts and the netbooks just slide in, automatically connecting to the chargers, greatly simplifying the logistics of using the netbooks in a normal school environment.  We'll
 post the results of our pilot to this list during the upcoming school year.

Stephen Barner
South Burlington High School
550 Dorset Street
South Burlington, VT 05403