Font:

LISTSERV Archives

AIKIDO Home

AIKIDO  August 2009

AIKIDO August 2009

Aikido Club: First Meeting and Info

Hannah Christine Reithinger <[log in to unmask]>

Hannah Christine Reithinger <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:51:49 -0400

Hello everyone!

I hope you have all had a great summer. This will be my first semester
as the Aikido Club president and I'm really pleased with all the
interest it has gotten so far. Thanks and please feel free to email me
anytime at [log in to unmask] if you have any club or aikido-related
questions! I will do my best to make the club stronger than ever!!

I have scheduled our first club meeting for this ***Friday, September
4th at 3pm in the Davis Center Main Lounge*** (right inside the back
door/where the big squishy chairs are). Please let me know if you
won't be able to make it and we might be able to schedule an alternate
time and/or we can communicate with email. We will go over a lot of
the logistics for new members (forms you have to fill out, the cost of
everything, and ideas for fundraising or events).

The way the club works is that you will receive a discount for
training at the Aikido of Champlain Valley Dojo (website at
http://www.aikidovt.org/ ). Once you pay the monthly dues, you will be
able to go to any of the classes offered there. You can see the
schedule on their website. Gis (uniforms) are required to train at an
additional cost. Unfortunately, we have not been able to get funds to
help pay for Gis, but we can discuss options if you think that this
financial hurtle might keep you off the mat.

There are a number of demonstrations and workshops coming up at the
dojo that will give new members a chance to see aikido and the dojo
before deciding if you would like to start training. The new
Introductory Series begins on October 6th. Sensei usually requests
that new members watch a class or a demo before starting, as well as
taking the time to have a brief, informal meeting with him so that he
can get to know you. The Art Hop Demonstration is taking place on
September 11th at 7pm and there will also be an Open House Workshop on
September 26th at 11am. These are great opportunities for new members
to see and try out a little aikido before committing to anything.

Finally, I would like to request old and new members alike to join the
Aikido Club on the new SGA website, the Lynx:
http://thelynx.collegiatelink.net/Community?action=getOrgHome&orgID=15590 .
Many of the forms you need to fill out can be found here and overall
it is a very user-friendly domain. I will slowly be phasing out the
use of this Listserv this semester because we have had problems in the
past of people wanting to be taken off the list and thus spamming the
listserv. If you would like to stop receiving emails from this list,
please send me an email ([log in to unmask]) and I will remove you.

Thank you and I look forward to seeing you on Friday!
Hannah Reithinger