]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CSSA Home

CSSA  August 2009

CSSA August 2009

Re: Server Config - The hax0rs and bax0r

Michael Evan Karpeles <[log in to unmask]>

Computer Science Student Association <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Aug 2009 21:53:02 -0400

Howdy all,

Glad to see this server project hasn't put on hold. I sent out a few
more inquiries for funding over the summer but they weren't very
successful. Still have a few more to check. I'd be happy to meet up
before the semester starts to see if we can't order some parts in
advance. If anyone else is down for donating some time, I can talk to
Professor Bongard about getting some shipments underway.

First, for those who have time to kill -- what times / days do you
guys and gals have available?

*ANDREW:* as always, your input has been insightful and informative.
I've been doing a lot of stress testing on some machines at work and
have come to realize (and appreciate) what can be done with limited
RAM. I definitely put a big stink about going for 16 GB of RAM before
but (if it comes down to it) I think 8GB would be sufficient for doing
the trick.

Andrew, what did you have in mind for RAID schemes? RAID 10? Also,
were we looking for hardware raid or software raid? I think your hard
drive estimates are about right but it might be nice to look into
4x1TB HDD's so we could potentially serve all of our CSSA tech talk
recordings. Granted HDD's are easy enough (and cheap enough) to
upgrade in the future. [I'll look into this and shoot an email out at
a later point]

NOTE: I think it would make sense to keep future funding in mind when
we get some of these parts. If we choose a CPU or graphics card that
specifically ties into an area of research interest, we may be able
raise CSSA awareness and see a little more green.

CHRIS: Nice work on getting those SUN's up, man. I know most of the
remaining SUN's are suffer from a pretty serious case of obstinate
defiance.

One the MEK side of Burlington, I managed to score us about 10 sticks
of RAM (ranging from 128-512mb) so I'll bring those to the lab when I
get a chance.

FINALLY -- anyone know the status of the machines in our lab? Haven't
been able to tunnel into them in a while.

Sincerely,
- Michael E. Karpeles

--
UVM ACM Chapter