LISTSERV Archives

EJCLASS Home

EJCLASS  August 2009

EJCLASS August 2009

[SPAM?:##] on of the granite

Pfaff <[log in to unmask]>

Environmental Justice <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:51:53 +0200

S brow serene as ever. CHAPTER XIII. BERTIE'S REWARD. At noon, Bertie
was obliged to hurry through his lunch, in order to be back in time for
the afternoon session, which commenced at one o'clock, so that it often
happened that he did not see his father till night. When he came into
the house, he was eager to tell his mamma that at last he had attained
the honor of being at the head of the arithmetic class. He supposed of
course his father had gone to the city, and did not therefore enquire
for him. He only said: "Please, mamma, don't tell papa when he comes
home, because I want to tell him myself." "No, I promise," answered
mamma, smiling. At the supper-table, his delight was great, therefore,
when he found that instead of going to the city, Mr. Curtis had been to
the town where the quarry of granite was. "I concluded," said papa, with
a curious smile, "that it would be a pleasure to go to the nursery in
company with a boy who put aside his own wishes in order to please his
mother. Dodge must get his ground ready, and wait till Saturday for his
trees." "Oh, papa! papa!!" shouted the boy, dancing with delight. "I
mean to be always good, you and mamma are so very kind." This was
Thursday; on Saturday morning at an early hour the Squire and his son
were on their way to t