EWB August 2009

Fwd: EWB-USA August Newsletter

Abigail Catherine Franklin <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:53:08 -0400

multipart/alternative (221 lines) , text/plain (116 lines) , text/html (288 lines)

     Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:54:52 -0400
     From: EWB-USA Membership <[log in to unmask]>
  Subject: EWB-USA August Newsletter
       To: Abigail Franklin <[log in to unmask]>

August 2009 EWB-USA e-Blast

View the html version of this month's newsletter by copying and
pasting the following url into your browser:
http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7839/0/

ANNOUNCEMENTS
What’s New at EWB-USA
New Web Site Launched - www.ewb.usa.org/index.php
EWB-USA has officially launched our new web site. There are many new
features available to members and non-members alike. Thanks to our
members who volunteered to test the web site during its development
and whose suggestions have made it easier to use.

There are still other improvements scheduled to be made in the next
few months, including the member forums and the “What’s New at
EWB-USA” pages. We encourage all members to log into the site to
review and update their profiles as applicable. Visit now and see what
new and exciting things are happening today.

*Note to chapter presidents: Please review your chapter and project
pages on the web site. If changes are needed, follow the instructions
on the web site to submit your updates.

EWB-USA Logo and Chapter Logo Policies: Coming This Fall
As you may already be aware, EWB-USA is growing quickly and gaining
international attention on a larger scale then ever before. Now, more
than ever, EWB-USA is working to become a premier nonprofit
organization and as we continue to move towards this goal we are
working on providing chapters and our members with the most up-to-date
resources. The EWB-USA Communications department will begin initiating
logo use policies and procedures nationwide for all chapters. This
will ensure that all 12,000 members and over 250 active chapters will
be using the same images when representing the organization.

Chapters, regions and members will be alerted of these new policies
this fall and will have ample amounts of time to comply with these
efforts. Please contact your Chapter Relations Manager for more
details and/or questions.

DEVELOPMENT CORNER
$149,000 in Project Grant Funds Available!
Announcing EWB-USA’s Fall Grants Cycle
Through our generous donors including the American Society of Civil
Engineers (ASCE), the American Institute of Chemical Engineers
(AIChE), the Boeing Company, and The Mineral, Metals and Materials
Society (TMS), we are pleased to distribute our annual Fall Grants. To
learn more about grant criteria and deadlines, please log onto the
member pages with your member id and:

-Click on the Development tab

-Click on Grants on the right side bar

-Click on Current Grant Opportunities on the right side bar

Available Funds:
ASCE: 5,000, 1 Grant
AIChE: $4,000, 1 Grant
Boeing: $135,000, 10-15 Grants
TMS: $5,000, 1 Grant

Submit grant applications to [log in to unmask]
Deadline for submission of all applications: September 30th, 2009
Grant decisions will be made and funds distributed by: October 21st, 2009

If you have any questions, please contact Ella Levy at
[log in to unmask], EWB-USA Grants Coordinator.

Project Funding: $10,000 Grants Available
Grant funding is available for chapters wishing to adopt the open
programs in Maseno, Kenya and Kolunje, Kenya. Once adoption of one of
these programs is approved, the chapter may receive up to $10,000 in
funding to assist with assessment and implementation costs. EWB-USA
waives the rule for existing program requirements; all chapters are
eligible regardless of existing programs in place. Funding is subject
to grant terms.

Inquiries and applications may be sent to [log in to unmask]
Application Deadline: Monday, August 24th, 2009

Please follow these links for program applications:

• Kolunje, Kenya - http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7513/0/
• Maseno, Kenya - http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7840/0/

Copy this link (http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7841/0/ to
the 502 – Chapter Application to acquire an EWB-USA project. Please
email [log in to unmask] if you are unable to download this
application and we will send it to you directly.

FUNDING AND FINANCE
Chapters: Please Note Change in Contact Information
EWB-USA would like to make certain that your emails are going to the
person who is best able to assist you. Therefore, we are discontinuing
the generic email address, [log in to unmask] and replacing it with
the following:

• [log in to unmask]: for check requests, expense reports,
purchases and any other outgoing money requests or questions.
• [log in to unmask]: for 706 forms, PayPal and any
questions regarding deposits.
• [log in to unmask]: for reports and any other accounting questions.

Please Note: EWB-USA no longer prorates for memberships as of August 2009.

MEMBER INFORMATION
EWB-USA Regional Training Workshops
Registration for EWB-USA Regional Training Workshops is now open! Copy
this link (http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7842/0/ for
registration details.

South Central Region: Hosted by Central Oklahoma Professional Chapter
of EWB-USA, October 2-4
West Coast Region: Hosted by Sacramento Valley Professional Chapter of
EWB-USA, University of California at Davis Chapter of EWB-USA, and
Sacramento State University Chapter of EWB-USA, October 9-11
Mountain Region: Hosted by Northern Arizona University Chapter of
EWB-USA, October 16-18
Mid West Region: Hosted by Iowa State University Chapter of EWB-USA,
October 23-25
North East Region: Hosted by Northeastern University, November 6-8
Great Lakes Region: Hosted by Chicagoland Professional Chapter of
EWB-USA and Wisconsin Professional Chapter of EWB-USA, November 13-15
South East Region: Hosted by University of Miami Chapter of EWB-USA,
November 13-15

The EWB-USA Regional Training Workshops have been developed as
specialized trainings for our professional and student volunteer
members. Topics include technology, health and safety, cultural and
social issues, and chapter procedures. Contact Colleen O'Holleran for
inquiries regarding the upcoming Workshops.

Calling all ASME Students
ASME is doing an evaluation of their Student Design Experience. They
would like to conduct a Customer Perception survey to all the EWB-USA
project participants who are also ASME members. If you are such a
student and willing to participate in this survey, please send your
first-name, last-name, and e-mail address to [log in to unmask]

Water, Water, Everywhere!
Clean water - providing access to it is a global challenge and more
than 900 million people worldwide don’t have it. Become part of the
solution and get involved in the JETS TEAMS Competition. The 2010
competition is asking high school students to tackle this humanitarian
crisis and your university chapter can help! We need EWB-USA chapters
to share their insight and engineering experiences by hosting or
volunteering at a competition.

See if your university is a competition site and if not, please call
JETS at 703.548.5387 ext. 102 or email Megan Balkovic. It’s simple to
get involved and JETS even has cash to get your chapter started. Earn
up to $500 by recruiting high schools to participate ($25 per school
up to 20) and/or win the EWB/JETS Chapter of the Year Award and take
home $1,000! Inspire today’s young people and get them thinking about
engineering and EWB-USA!

EWB-USA Member Opportunities

The University of Oklahoma International WaTER Conference
and International WaTER Prize Award Ceremony
October 26-27, 2009
Norman, OK, USA

The two-day conference will include poster and paper sessions devoted
to all technical and non-technical topics and sectors (technical,
anthropological, sociological, cultural or legal aspect) relevant to
water and sanitation in remote regions of developing countries. Water
and sanitation experts from academia, industry, NGOs, government, and
foundations are invited to participate. Participants from emerging
regions are especially encouraged to attend; a limited number of
travel scholarships will be available for international participants.
For more information: http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7843/0/

Attention Young Engineers: Participate in the 2009 Engineering
Congress: Alternative Energy Applications - Option or Necessity
The Kuwait Society of Engineers is proud to announce that it is
holding the international Engineering Congress on the occasion of the
WFEO General Assembly and its 80 national members in Kuwait, from the
2nd to 6th of November 2009. The Congress will address Alternative
Energy Applications, a subject that touches the life of every human
being on Earth. To learn more, visit
http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7844/0/ Significant support
is available to students and young engineers under the age of 30.

Call for Nominations: $100,000 Lemelson-MIT Award for Sustainability
The Lemelson-MIT Program seeks nominations for its 2010 $100,000
Lemelson-MIT Award for Sustainability. The Award for Sustainability
recognizes and supports innovators and inventors working to safeguard
the well being of our communities in developing countries. The
deadline for nominations is Tuesday, October 6, 2009.

To nominate an individual or for more information, please contact Ed
Canton, Lemelson-MIT Awards Program Officer, at 617-452-2145 or

----- End forwarded message -----

August 2009 EWB-USA e-Blast View the html version of this month's newsletter by copying and pasting the following url into your browser: http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7839/0/ ------------------------------------------------------------- ANNOUNCEMENTS What’s New at EWB-USA New Web Site Launched - www.ewb.usa.org/index.php EWB-USA has officially launched our new web site. There are many new features available to members and non-members alike. Thanks to our members who volunteered to test the web site during its development and whose suggestions have made it easier to use. There are still other improvements scheduled to be made in the next few months, including the member forums and the “What’s New at EWB-USA” pages. We encourage all members to log into the site to review and update their profiles as applicable. Visit now and see what new and exciting things are happening today. *Note to chapter presidents: Please review your chapter and project pages on the web site. If changes are needed, follow the instructions on the web site to submit your updates. EWB-USA Logo and Chapter Logo Policies: Coming This Fall As you may already be aware, EWB-USA is growing quickly and gaining international attention on a larger scale then ever before. Now, more than ever, EWB-USA is working to become a premier nonprofit organization and as we continue to move towards this goal we are working on providing chapters and our members with the most up-to-date resources. The EWB-USA Communications department will begin initiating logo use policies and procedures nationwide for all chapters. This will ensure that all 12,000 members and over 250 active chapters will be using the same images when representing the organization. Chapters, regions and members will be alerted of these new policies this fall and will have ample amounts of time to comply with these efforts. Please contact your Chapter Relations Manager for more details and/or questions. ------------------------------------------------------------- DEVELOPMENT CORNER $149,000 in Project Grant Funds Available! Announcing EWB-USA’s Fall Grants Cycle Through our generous donors including the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), the Boeing Company, and The Mineral, Metals and Materials Society (TMS), we are pleased to distribute our annual Fall Grants. To learn more about grant criteria and deadlines, please log onto the member pages with your member id and: -Click on the Development tab -Click on Grants on the right side bar -Click on Current Grant Opportunities on the right side bar Available Funds: ASCE: 5,000, 1 Grant AIChE: $4,000, 1 Grant Boeing: $135,000, 10-15 Grants TMS: $5,000, 1 Grant Submit grant applications to [log in to unmask] Deadline for submission of all applications: September 30th, 2009 Grant decisions will be made and funds distributed by: October 21st, 2009 If you have any questions, please contact Ella Levy at [log in to unmask], EWB-USA Grants Coordinator. Project Funding: $10,000 Grants Available Grant funding is available for chapters wishing to adopt the open programs in Maseno, Kenya and Kolunje, Kenya. Once adoption of one of these programs is approved, the chapter may receive up to $10,000 in funding to assist with assessment and implementation costs. EWB-USA waives the rule for existing program requirements; all chapters are eligible regardless of existing programs in place. Funding is subject to grant terms. Inquiries and applications may be sent to [log in to unmask] Application Deadline: Monday, August 24th, 2009 Please follow these links for program applications: • Kolunje, Kenya - http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7513/0/ • Maseno, Kenya - http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7840/0/ Copy this link (http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7841/0/ to the 502 – Chapter Application to acquire an EWB-USA project. Please email [log in to unmask] if you are unable to download this application and we will send it to you directly. ------------------------------------------------------------- FUNDING AND FINANCE Chapters: Please Note Change in Contact Information EWB-USA would like to make certain that your emails are going to the person who is best able to assist you. Therefore, we are discontinuing the generic email address, [log in to unmask] and replacing it with the following: • [log in to unmask]: for check requests, expense reports, purchases and any other outgoing money requests or questions. • [log in to unmask]: for 706 forms, PayPal and any questions regarding deposits. • [log in to unmask]: for reports and any other accounting questions. Please Note: EWB-USA no longer prorates for memberships as of August 2009. ------------------------------------------------------------- MEMBER INFORMATION EWB-USA Regional Training Workshops Registration for EWB-USA Regional Training Workshops is now open! Copy this link (http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7842/0/ for registration details. South Central Region: Hosted by Central Oklahoma Professional Chapter of EWB-USA, October 2-4 West Coast Region: Hosted by Sacramento Valley Professional Chapter of EWB-USA, University of California at Davis Chapter of EWB-USA, and Sacramento State University Chapter of EWB-USA, October 9-11 Mountain Region: Hosted by Northern Arizona University Chapter of EWB-USA, October 16-18 Mid West Region: Hosted by Iowa State University Chapter of EWB-USA, October 23-25 North East Region: Hosted by Northeastern University, November 6-8 Great Lakes Region: Hosted by Chicagoland Professional Chapter of EWB-USA and Wisconsin Professional Chapter of EWB-USA, November 13-15 South East Region: Hosted by University of Miami Chapter of EWB-USA, November 13-15 The EWB-USA Regional Training Workshops have been developed as specialized trainings for our professional and student volunteer members. Topics include technology, health and safety, cultural and social issues, and chapter procedures. Contact Colleen O'Holleran for inquiries regarding the upcoming Workshops. Calling all ASME Students ASME is doing an evaluation of their Student Design Experience. They would like to conduct a Customer Perception survey to all the EWB-USA project participants who are also ASME members. If you are such a student and willing to participate in this survey, please send your first-name, last-name, and e-mail address to [log in to unmask] Water, Water, Everywhere! Clean water - providing access to it is a global challenge and more than 900 million people worldwide don’t have it. Become part of the solution and get involved in the JETS TEAMS Competition. The 2010 competition is asking high school students to tackle this humanitarian crisis and your university chapter can help! We need EWB-USA chapters to share their insight and engineering experiences by hosting or volunteering at a competition. See if your university is a competition site and if not, please call JETS at 703.548.5387 ext. 102 or email Megan Balkovic. It’s simple to get involved and JETS even has cash to get your chapter started. Earn up to $500 by recruiting high schools to participate ($25 per school up to 20) and/or win the EWB/JETS Chapter of the Year Award and take home $1,000! Inspire today’s young people and get them thinking about engineering and EWB-USA! EWB-USA Member Opportunities The University of Oklahoma International WaTER Conference and International WaTER Prize Award Ceremony October 26-27, 2009 Norman, OK, USA The two-day conference will include poster and paper sessions devoted to all technical and non-technical topics and sectors (technical, anthropological, sociological, cultural or legal aspect) relevant to water and sanitation in remote regions of developing countries. Water and sanitation experts from academia, industry, NGOs, government, and foundations are invited to participate. Participants from emerging regions are especially encouraged to attend; a limited number of travel scholarships will be available for international participants. For more information: http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7843/0/ Attention Young Engineers: Participate in the 2009 Engineering Congress: Alternative Energy Applications - Option or Necessity The Kuwait Society of Engineers is proud to announce that it is holding the international Engineering Congress on the occasion of the WFEO General Assembly and its 80 national members in Kuwait, from the 2nd to 6th of November 2009. The Congress will address Alternative Energy Applications, a subject that touches the life of every human being on Earth. To learn more, visit http://lyris.asce.org/t/7372255/54813006/7844/0/ Significant support is available to students and young engineers under the age of 30. Call for Nominations: $100,000 Lemelson-MIT Award for Sustainability The Lemelson-MIT Program seeks nominations for its 2010 $100,000 Lemelson-MIT Award for Sustainability. The Award for Sustainability recognizes and supports innovators and inventors working to safeguard the well being of our communities in developing countries. The deadline for nominations is Tuesday, October 6, 2009. To nominate an individual or for more information, please contact Ed Canton, Lemelson-MIT Awards Program Officer, at 617-452-2145 or [log in to unmask] -------------------------------------------------------------