Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CSSA Home

CSSA  September 2009

CSSA September 2009

i am a negative nancy

Christopher Anthony Tucci <[log in to unmask]>

Computer Science Student Association <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Sep 2009 20:27:33 -0400

which buses are we doing this for?

the on campus buses come every 15 or 30 mins(right?), and are always
on time, the CCTA buses are a little harder to keep track of, but they
too keep to their schedule very well.

who is going to use this service?

very few people take the bus who don't take it regularly, so either
they know the times (because they take it from the same place every
day) or they are going to need to look up a schedule---these are the
people were trying to help. knowing where the bus is right now
probably doesnt interest them very much, they want to know how many
minutes from when they are looking at the schedule the next one will
be at the closest location to them (phew

actually putting any kind of unattended device connected to a cell
phone on a bus must need some kind of approval from whatever corporate
body who runs the buses here?

do we need the driver to remember to turn it on and off(?)

involving other people who may not care about the project can and
probably will lead to unexpected problems.

**THE POINT**

I think the idea of a live map of bus locations and ETAs for a bus
"near me" (as well as any other bus information functionality we can
come up with) is great, but live tracking of the buses may not be
necessary. if for the most part, they are on time, maybe we can just
simulate their locations (as andrew was saying to create a fake data
source for testing).

i think we can do this project for free and have it working as well as
if not better than if we were spending time, money and energy on live
tracking.

got to go get to petco before they close.

HACK ON!

PS
I will be happy to create the fake data source. i think id learn a lot
doing it.