Re: PubMed preview: LinkOut changes

"Blodgett, Gini" <[log in to unmask]>

Blodgett, Gini

Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:52:16 -0400

Hi. I just took the online tutorials offered by PubMed -- take a look at the September 30, 2009,  NLM Technical Bulletins to find out about the LinkOut changes --

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/techbull/so09/so09_linkout_redesign.html

Regards,

Gini Blodgett Birchett, MSLS
Director, Information Resources
American Physical Therapy Association
1111 N. Fairfax Street
Alexandria, Va. 22314-1488
703.706.8534 (phone)
800.999.2782, x8534 (toll-free)

-----Original Message-----
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hill, Thomas
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 2:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: PubMed preview: several points

Colleagues,
1. I am seeing that each page of the new version of PubMed loads twice.
That is, I will go to Advanced search opening screen and it appears on
my monitor screen.  Then, the screen "blinks" and the same opening
screen of Advanced search loads again.  I have no idea why pages want to
load twice.

 2. Part of the description of how to get full text articles indicates
that the LinkOut icons will still appear.  I see no link for us
libraries to go to LinkOut, however.  I wonder how will we get to our
LinkOut settings in the new PubMed version?

3. I like to print the search history for our records. I ran a search in
the Advanced search page and I got results.  I could not find the
history anywhere.
 You have to click on Advanced search link at the top of the screen
again, and then the history appears.

4.  I tried to right click in the history area to copy and paste the
search history statements.  You can not copy that history.  You can
"select all" the page contents, not what we want.  Or, you can print the
page, where you get all the page content about limits below the history
search statements.
I suppose that is good to see IF you have any limits set, but it also
printed a blank sheet and the limits when I did not have any limits set.

5. There is still a delay when I click in the box beside each citation
to select the ones I want to Send to.  The delay is long enough that I
can not tell if the check applied, so I do it again, and then remove the
first check.  Delays and repeats.

I keep trying to learn and like this.  I am not converted.  As
colleagues have said, our users will not do all this pointing and
clicking.  NLM must be fooling themselves if they think MDs and
residents are going to point and click all over the page to find how to
search.  They will go to Google and put in what they want on the one
blank line and go with the results.

What a mess!   We will teach our users from now on to use our aggregator
system on our library intranet page rather than the new PubMed.  I can
not possibly expect residents to take a noon conference to learn to
"point and click" their way around this new version.  They can go to our
library page and enter their terms and find what we have in books and
journals, with icons to full text electronic or paper holdings.

Thomas

Did this answer your question? We have the time to help you.  Please
contact us if we did not answer your question.  Thank you for using the
library.  Tel. 864-725-4851; fax 864-725-4838; email

Confidential: This electronic message and all contents contain
information from Self Regional Healthcare which may be privileged,
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be for the addressee only.  If you are not the addressee,
any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this
message is prohibited.  If you have received this electronic message in
error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message and all
copies.

Self Regional Healthcare is a tobacco-free workplace.

Thomas Hill, Librarian, Self Regional Healthcare, 1325 Spring St.,
Greenwood, SC 29646