ISOGEOCHEM November 2009

Re: Isodat 2.5 Crash

Gerard Olack <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Nov 2009 18:45:07 -0500

HI Bev--

Any luck/suggestions yet???  I presume you didn't just load in a new
piece of software that interferes with Isodat, nor that you have a virus
on your system screwing things up.  If you do, unload them/clean them up
first.

If you haven't, shut down computer, double check all connections (from
computer and mass spec), then boot the computer back up.  Double check
system memory--make sure you have not lost a memory chip.  Fix that and
reboot if needed, then try opening up Instrument Control.  If no
success, reboot computer and open up "Configurator" first.  Make sure
that hasn't changed, and you can double check the "interfaces" (top line
menu) and they all should be "active"except Gpib--"fake" unless you have
an old system.  If all looks good, close and open up Instrument
control.  If they are all "fake", switch them to active, close out of
Configurator, then open it back up again to make sure they are still
"active".  If they do not stay active--it's not seeing the mass spec.

Still not working but remains "active", reboot and try opening up
Acquisition first.

Still not working but remains "active", then try shutting off the
anti-virus software and turn off as many items as you can that load on
startup and reboot and try again.  If not active, go to Configurator now
and try to make it active again as above.

Still not working--now it gets tricky.  You may have to reseat the PC
boards and memory cards, in case they worked their was loose and/or
there was some corrosion building up in the connections.  If you have
another system, you can try swapping the optical cable (they can break)
or even the PC's. You may also have to do a hard boot of the mass spec
(power it down, then power it back up).  If the problem moves with the
PC, try swapping the communications cards.  If it stays with the mass
spec...then the problem is in one of it's connections/boards.  FYI: the
exposed metal wire on the fiber optic connectors on the boards carry a
high voltage.

good luck...

gerry