]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ISOGEOCHEM Home

ISOGEOCHEM  November 2009

ISOGEOCHEM November 2009

Re: Ruined 5A molecular sieve GC column?

"A. Schauer" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:41:16 -0800

TEXT/PLAIN

Hi Sam,

We have been running this method for some time. Out gas bench GC has the
same limitations. This doesn't effect our results. We bake it out, on
occasion, at maximum (~220*C). Its mostly water you want to remove as
that will effect the separation of N2 and O2. If you see good separation
and, your column is probably fine.

Do you scrub volatile organic compounds prior to N2O pyrolysis? This is
critical. If any VOCs enter the hot gold tube with your N2O, the oxygen is
bonded and won't form O2. If you don't scrub, test by dipping some of your
tubing into a -110*C bath immediately upstream of the gold tube. If you
have not been scrubbing VOCs, it might take a while to get them all off
the side walls of the tubing. I suggest heating the tubing while helium is
on with a heat gun for a while. We also periodically purge the gold tube
with pure O2 while its hot overnight. Does your nitrogen signal remain the
same size while the oxygen signal degrades? If so, its VOCs.

andy

Andrew Schauer
Earth and Space Sciences
University of Washington