Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MUNINET Home

MUNINET  November 2009

MUNINET November 2009

Re: Town Report

Huntington Town Clerk - Heidi Racht <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Nov 2009 09:42:11 -0500

Huntington has had Permit #1 at the Huntington Post Office since the
early 1980s. We got it to mail out our town newsletter, which later
became a two-town newspaper with Richmond and no longer under the town's
supervision (desires and politics of the members of the Selectboard).
Along the way, we found that the Town Reports mailed out on the permit,
instead of First Class stamps, more than paid for the permit with
savings. Every household of registered voters got one report, which
could be a challenge with the  pre-911 addresses and so many couples
having different last names (myself included, so I am not complaining
about this).Then, about 10 years ago, I started working at the post
office, I learned some nuances of bulk mailings. One of these included
the fact that it was cheaper to mail to every household in town as
boxholder (known as a saturation mailing) than to pay to have the books
sorted and delivered to individual mailboxes.

Then, what to do about the people who don't read the books as they are
about $5 apiece?  Someone picked up a report (Newport?) that was done on
newsprint and the savings was considerable compared to the books.

So, at the request of the Selectboard, we print two reports. One is for
the saturation mailing and is printed on newsprint and looks like a
newspaper. The second is our "archival" report, which has a spiral
binding and can be picked up in the office. People like to save them. We
print about 175 of the archival reports, compared to 950 of the
newsprint. The newsprint version is the one used at Town Meeting. Since
I have done the design of and layout of the Town Report for almost 20
years, this extra work falls on me. I consider it community service.

Also, our Town Report is like a yearbook. We try to have a theme, lots
of photos and articles, and, of course, all the reports from the various
boards, committees and other town organizations like the historical
society, the scouts and the parent organization at the school. If a
community member gets some sort of civic award, we put it in. Our
various legislative pages over the years have written a small report and
had their pictures in. We have all the financials up front after the
page featuring our nonagenarians and commemorations (people who have
died who served in office or were prominent in the community).

I have just read the email from Doreen in Westminster about the labels
in the tax bills and think that this may be the way to go next year. I
love these discussions and reading what you all have to say.

Although I had fully intended to be there, I'm sorry I won't be able to
go to Manchester - family matters preclude being away right now. We are
now at the point where aging parents (my husband's mother is 94) are
needing our focus and attention and loving care.

Heidi