SCHOOL-IT November 2009

Re: Multimedia Explosion

Eric Hall <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Nov 2009 22:01:03 -0500

Lagging behind on this discussion...

Our approach has been similar: media and large files stored separately
("media server" or local drives) and not backed up. Everyone is advised to
put their own pictures onto CD or DVD media as needed. Garage Band and
iMovie are stored locally or on portable drives. We also empty student
folders at the end of each year, after trying unsuccessfully to have them
"clean up" at the end of each year. We get no complaints about empty student
folders, but have also copied a few to CD from backups upon request.

Backups are going to old desktop machines with multiple HD - FreeNAS OS,
cheap, redundant and effective although we need to add some more drives.

Raw video has been a challenge, as we film many of our all-school events.
Portable drives are so cheap we bought a couple of TB drives and that issue
is solved for now...

I agree with others who emphasize training and raising awareness of file
size and storage considerations. If everyone understands this, issues will
not be as prevalent. Teaching people to "turn down" those 10Mpx cameras is a
good first step!

Eric Hall
Technology Coordinator
Waterbury/Duxbury Schools
Washington West Supervisory Union
Waterbury, VT
(802) 244-6100

and privileged information protected under the Family Educational Rights and
Privacy Act. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender
by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the message.