Eurasian Collard-Dove in Norwich

Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:51:52 -0500

Vermont's first confirmed Eurasian Collard-Dove is at a feeder in
Norwich, where it has been a daily visitor for the past ~10 days.  The
bird was reported to me this morning, and its identity was verified a
short while later by Spencer and Doug Hardy and Ed Hack.  I returned
with Kent McFarland and Pat Johnson at 3:00 pm, at which point a large
pale dove flew from the site and never reappeared(!!).  The owners, John
and Dianne Dunn, showed me photos taken from inside their home, and
these clearly confirm the bird as a Eurasian Collared-Dove.  They are
very welcoming and would be glad to have birders stop to see the bird,
which is apparently much more reliable at their feeders during morning
than afternoon.  They live at 1460 Union Village Road in Norwich, about
3 miles north of Norwich village.  The number is on their black mailbox,
on the right (east) side of the road as you're driving north.  It is not
necessary to alert John and Dianne in advance of a visit, but birders
should respect their privacy and be as unobtrusive as possible.  They
have horses, so please be aware of them during your visit.

I suggest that birders wanting to see this first state record wait until
at least Friday, to let John and Dianne enjoy a quiet Thanksgiving
tomorrow.   Again, they are extremely friendly and accommodating people,
and I trust everyone will honor their willingness to welcome birders by
behaving responsibly.

Thanks,
Chris

--