]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CAREERSVCS-HEALTH Home

CAREERSVCS-HEALTH  January 2010

CAREERSVCS-HEALTH January 2010

Clinical Experience with the Research Associates Program: an advertisement

"Anne M. Sullivan" <[log in to unmask]>

Career Services Prehealth List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Jan 2010 14:32:07 -0500

multipart/alternative (93 lines) , text/plain (83 lines) , text/html (44 lines) , Tobacco Cessation Poster.pptx (44 lines)

here's another opportunity for summer...Anne

The Research Associates (RA) Program, working in conjunction with the
Department of Emergency Medicine at St. Vincent's Medical Center,
Bridgeport, CT,  is offering positions as subject identifiers and data
collectors for our clinical research.  While most of our RAs in the spring
semester come from colleges in our CT-NY-NJ-RI-MA catchment area, we do
accept post-bacs from any school.  During the summer, RAs come from schools
around the country and housing options on local college campuses are
available.

RAs serve a minimum of ten (10) shifts, four hours each, over the course
of each semester.  During the school year, we only allow RAs to do one shift
per week to avoid conflict with academic work.  For the summer, however, RAs
may do as many shifts as are available.  During the summer, there are also
additional opportunities for clinical research work, shadowing including in
the operating room and classes on medical topics.

In prior semesters, each RA regularly had direct contact with well over 100
patients and visitors in the emergency department.  With the studies planned
for the spring and summer semesters, and the service they provide based on
previous studies (Pap test, mammography, prostate and colon-rectal cancer
screening and tobacco cessation), we believe that number will be
substantially higher for this upcoming group of RAs.

To give you an idea of what RAs accomplish, attached is a copy of the poster
of the study on tobacco cessation for ED patients and visitors presented at
the American College of Emergency Physicians national meeting this past
October.

Application material and details about the program can be found at
www.RAProgram.org <http://www.raprogram.org/>.

Weekly shifts for each semester are chosen by the RAs in the order we
receive their completed applications, so it behoves those who will be
joining us to get their material to us as soon as possible.

*Important Dates*
*Spring Semester, 2010*
  Mandatory weekend-long orientation for the spring semester is on Saturday *
and* Sunday, 23 and 24
*Summer Semester, 2010*
For the summer semester, we have two sessions.  The first has orientation on
Saturday and Sunday, 5 *and* 6 June, and the second has orientation on 19 *
and* 20 June.

Orientation for the spring semester or one of the summer sessions is
mandatory.  They are held at St. Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport, CT
and are from 9AM to 5PM on both days.

Subject to IRB approval, these upcoming semesters will have two very
interesting studies:
1.  *Dental Screening*
           Following the model of our previous work on the emergency
department as a site for facilitating primary care, RAs will identify
patients and visitors who are not up-to-date with their visits for dental
check-ups and facilitate making such appointments.

2.  *SPEED* (Serving Patients Efficiently in the Emergency Department)
           This time / motion study will have RAs following an emergency
physician to determine intervals from patient arrival to decision and
disposition times.
Cost for the program is $200 which includes a Criminal Background Check,
drug testing, immunization review, two (2) uniform shirts and an
administrative fee.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me here or with my
Chief RAs through the website.
--
All the best.

Keith
Keith Bradley, MD
Director, Research Associates Program
www.RAProgram.org
(203) 374-2906 (w)
(203) 767-6363 (c)

----- End forwarded message -----

Anne Sullivan
Pre Health Advisor
Career Services E Bldg L/L
656-3450
Appts can only be made by phone
href="http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ecareer/?Page=students/premed/index.html&SM=students_submenu.html">Pre-Health
  Website</a></html>

Health Professions Adviser Colleagues Well, it is that time of year again. Students are looking for clinical opportunities in the spring and summer semesters, 2010. Please feel free to pass along this information about the RA Program to your students. The Research Associates (RA) Program, working in conjunction with the Department of Emergency Medicine at St. Vincent's Medical Center, Bridgeport, CT, is offering positions as subject identifiers and data collectors for our clinical research. While most of our RAs in the spring semester come from colleges in our CT-NY-NJ-RI-MA catchment area, we do accept post-bacs from any school. During the summer, RAs come from schools around the country and housing options on local college campuses are available. RAs serve a minimum of ten (10) shifts, four hours each, over the course of each semester. During the school year, we only allow RAs to do one shift per week to avoid conflict with academic work. For the summer, however, RAs may do as many shifts as are available. During the summer, there are also additional opportunities for clinical research work, shadowing including in the operating room and classes on medical topics. In prior semesters, each RA regularly had direct contact with well over 100 patients and visitors in the emergency department. With the studies planned for the spring and summer semesters, and the service they provide based on previous studies (Pap test, mammography, prostate and colon-rectal cancer screening and tobacco cessation), we believe that number will be substantially higher for this upcoming group of RAs. To give you an idea of what RAs accomplish, attached is a copy of the poster of the study on tobacco cessation for ED patients and visitors presented at the American College of Emergency Physicians national meeting this past October. Application material and details about the program can be found at www.RAProgram.org <http://www.raprogram.org/>. Weekly shifts for each semester are chosen by the RAs in the order we receive their completed applications, so it behoves those who will be joining us to get their material to us as soon as possible. *Important Dates* *Spring Semester, 2010*  Mandatory weekend-long orientation for the spring semester is on Saturday * and* Sunday, 23 and 24 *Summer Semester, 2010* For the summer semester, we have two sessions. The first has orientation on Saturday and Sunday, 5 *and* 6 June, and the second has orientation on 19 * and* 20 June. Orientation for the spring semester or one of the summer sessions is mandatory. They are held at St. Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport, CT and are from 9AM to 5PM on both days. Subject to IRB approval, these upcoming semesters will have two very interesting studies: 1. *Dental Screening*           Following the model of our previous work on the emergency department as a site for facilitating primary care, RAs will identify patients and visitors who are not up-to-date with their visits for dental check-ups and facilitate making such appointments. 2. *SPEED* (Serving Patients Efficiently in the Emergency Department)           This time / motion study will have RAs following an emergency physician to determine intervals from patient arrival to decision and disposition times. Cost for the program is $200 which includes a Criminal Background Check, drug testing, immunization review, two (2) uniform shirts and an administrative fee. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me here or with my Chief RAs through the website. -- All the best. Keith Keith Bradley, MD Director, Research Associates Program www.RAProgram.org (203) 374-2906 (w) (203) 767-6363 (c)