South Reading feeder activity

Ken Cox <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:04:33 -0500

With all the reports of feeder activity appearing to be weighted on slow
side so far this winter, I sat down and worked up the January numbers for
feeder activity at our home.  The season got off to a real slow start in
December but picked up between Christmas and New Year Day.  Overall, I must
say things seem about average for here with the noticable absence of
northern finches, namely Common Redpolls and Pine Siskins, as well as
American Goldfinches.  Typically, it seems these three species take turns in
terms of making a strong appearance at our feeders: one winter it will be
redpolls, followed next winter by perhaps siskins, and then
goldfinches...not in any particular order.  I cannot recall when more than a
single species was present here in high numbers within a winter.  Obviously
this is an off year for these three but in their place we have had a very
good season so far for Purple Finches and had three days that we know of
when Evening Grosbeaks dropped in.  So looking forward to next winter, any
bets on which it will be: a siskin, redpoll or goldfinch winter?

Fourteen species have been seen at the feeders this month. Counts were made
on a total of 12 days.  Not all species were recorded everyday,
however.  Here is the rundown with "statistics" with an explanation of the
numbers given.  The 1st number is the average per day for the month,
followed by the low and high count range, and lastly the number of days out
of the 12 each was observed.

Mourning Dove: 14.2, 2-24, 12
Downy Woodpecker: 1.5, 1-2, 11
Hairy Woodpecker: 1.3, 1-2, 10
Blue Jay: 6.8, 2-12, 11
Black-capped Chickadee: 6.8, 3-10, 12
Tuted Titmouse: 1.7, 1-2, 12
Red-breasted Nuthatch: 1.0, 1-1, 6
White-breasted Nuthatch: 1.2, 1-2, 10
American Tree Sparrow: 1.8, 1-3, 12
Dark-eyed Junco: 1.5, 1-3, 12
Purple Finch: 9.0, 2-13, 11
Pine Siskin: one on one day only
American Goldfinch: 2.4, 1-5, 5
Evening Grosbeak: 13.7, 9-17, 3

Not included is the Sharp-shinned Hawk that unfortunately collided with a
window in pursuit of birds at the feeders, 3 American Robins near but not at
the feeders, and this morning 2 American Crows picking wind blown sunflower
seeds off the snow within a short distance of the feeders.
--
Kenneth Cox
South Reading, VT