Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  January 2010, Week 3

SKIVT-L January 2010, Week 3

Re: Camel’s Hump State Park/Monroe Trail, VT 17JAN2010

Caveat Lector <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:37:25 -0500

TEO & Patrick have put it very well. I only hope that Jay et al. will
consider what they have written with an open mind. (And end up
agreeing with their quite reasonable suggestions)

So a few unorganized thoughts:

Nathan, re: climbers' lack of impact--you were kidding, right?

Dan, Justin & Roger talk about paying dues, but let's face it have you
paid yours? For that matter have I always been timely with my
payments? And yet haven't those lads taken us on some nice trips?

Leigh, how many nature photographers detail exactly how to get to the
spots where they took the pictures they publish?

To all you all who accuse "selfishness", how can that be the case if I
(and the others who share my principles) don't ski there or plan to?

caveat lector

On Wednesday, January 20, 2010, Patrick Haskell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> While ad hominem attacks may put more perk in your day, I can't be bothered.† My point remains that nothing is lost by exclusion of a few geospatial details from a TR.† To wit:

> Camelís Hump State Park/Monroe Trail, VT 17JAN2010
>

> From what Iíd been hearing, ski conditions were generally decent around the area this week, but new snowfall was sparse.† Subsequent to the 9 inches of snow that Bolton picked up last weekend, theyíd only reported 2 to 3 inches of additional accumulation.† Down at the house in Waterbury (495í), we picked up 4.8 inches of snow from that weekend event, and then smaller events on Monday and Wednesday dropped 1.2 inches each.† It was enough to keep things fresh, but it was rather dry snow that probably didnít add too much new substance to the snowpack.
>
> The end of the week also saw an increase in temperatures, with our location in the valley getting up to around 40 F at times.† It was a little hard to get a sense of what had gone on with the weather in the mountains, since I heard talk of a crust in the Mt. Mansfield area, but Paul Terwilligerís report from Central Vermont suggested that the powder was great down there.† Unsure of whether I was going to encounter, powder,
> crust, mush, or who knows what, I chose to keep it simple and earn some turns close to home.† I decided to check out some terrain right across the Winooski in North Duxbury below Camelís Hump.† From the Winooski Valley, at an elevation of about 400í or so, the Camelís Hump Road heads southward up into the mountains for several miles to an elevation of about 1,500í where there is access to Camelís Hump State Park and various hiking trails.† My friend Weston used to live right up near the top of the road, and told me that there were plenty of glades up above him along the route to Camelís Hump.† I took a peek at my copy of David Goodmanís backcountry skiing book for Vermont, and he also speaks of the various glade skiing options along the Monroe trail.
>
> This was actually my first time driving up Camelís Hump Road in the winter, so it was neat to get the perspective with the snow.† The drive offered great views of Ridley Brook, which flows near the road throughout the drive.† I always get a kick out of some of the funky houses along the road:† some that seem to be accessed by unique bridges, and others with their own quirks, like one that seems to be some sort of partially underground structure with a flat roof.† At this time of the year, the very top part of the road is closed, so I had to park in the winter parking area at ~1,200í.† From a temperature of ~38-39 F down at the house, the temperature dropped to ~36 F at the parking area, and in terms of snow conditions, I hoped that the temperature would continue to drop as I
> ascended.

> [...]

caveat lector