SCHOOL-IT March 2010

Re: Whoo-ee - free recycling!

Stephen Barner <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:26:23 -0400

A number of years ago, there was a guy who was "recycling" old computers in northern Vermont.  I asked him about monitors and he said that he was having trouble getting rid of many of them and they were piling up in outside storage.  Registration of recyclers makes sense, if we want to avoid these types of things from happening.

Steve Barner
South Burlington HS

-----Original Message-----
From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Vincent Rossano
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Whoo-ee - free recycling!

Steve,

Again, I don't see any reference to a consumer needing a certificate of any kind to take advantage of this free disposal.  I do not see any mention of any age limit on equipment such as your informant claimed is there.  I believe that person misread the bill as passed; I suspect he (or she)failed to read the "Definitions" section of the bill where the following is found:

(14) "Recycler" means a person who accepts covered electronic devices from covered entities and collectors for the purpose of recycling.

I further suspect that the failure to understand that definition caused this person to misinterpret the following section where "registration" is required of a "recycler" and that registration will be "valid for a period not to exceed five years."

 7305. RECYCLER PROGRAM RESPONSIBILITY
(a)(1) Recycler registration. No person may recycle a covered electronic device unless that person has submitted a registration with the delegated solid waste district on a form prescribed by the district. A registration is effective upon receipt by the delegated solid waste district and is valid for a period not to exceed five years.

In other words, the person "who read the fine print of the bill" didn't read it very well; the "recycler" is required to register, but the "recycler" is not the consumer.

So, yeah, the manufacturers may choose to stick the consumer with the cost up front (maybe $5), but the point is that the consumer will not be faced with a fee at disposal time, so will have less incentive to dump his old computer in the woods. Nor will this bill, for the consumer, "add administrative work to the process to actually make use of the benefit".

-Vince

believed to be clean.