SCHOOL-IT March 2010

Re: doc cam

Steve Webster <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:46:10 -0500

I'll echo what Eric says.  We're using the AVerMedia SPC300.  We did a
side-by-side comparison with the Elmo TT02, and the AVerMedia was the
hands-down winner--better image quality, better color, better
resolution, better zoom, better software, more rugged, more stable.

I really like the AVerVision software.  With this software you can:
 * Control the document camera with the computer (e.g., zoom, freeze,
rotate)
 * Record videos
 * Capture still pictures and easily save them to your computer
 * Do time-lapse photography
 * Annotate the screen (with lines, rectangles, ovals, or text)
 * Easily select, copy, and paste part of the screen to another document
(e.g., Word, HyperStudio, PowerPoint, Smart Notebook, etc.)

I was just about to give you a link to the AverVision 3 software, which
we downloaded just the other day, but it appears that there is new AVer+
software.  Haven't explored that yet.  Here's the link:
     http://www.avermedia-usa.com/presentation/dl_spc300.asp

Steve

P.S.--If you have an AVerMedia, here's a tip I discovered (which I
assume still works with the new software):

You can also make it VERY easy to periodically take multiple snapshots
of the screen as you are using the document camera.  Rather than use the
[Image capture] button in the normal way which requires that you
navigate the Save dialog box for each capture (to specify where to save
your snapshot and what to name it), you can use the "time lapse" feature
to take snapshots when you want to and save them in a pre-defined
folder.  To set things up, do the following:
 * Create a folder where you want to save your snapshots
 * Start the AVerVision Software
 * Click the [Advanced Settings] button (the "gear")
 * In the Capture section, select Continuous
 * Specify Time = 1 minute
 * Specify Interval = 1 minute (the max)
 * [Browse] to specify the folder/directory to save the snapshots in
 * Enter the filename
 * Click [OK]

To take a single snapshot:
 * Click the [Image capture] button to take a picture (actually, to
start the time lapse process)
 * After a second, click the [Image capture] button again to stop the
time lapse process

 * Repeat these two steps any time you want to capture a snapshot
 * When you're done, you might want to change the Continuous setting
back to Single.