Ticks

Priscilla Douglas <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 25 Apr 2010 12:29:27 -0400

Hi - Just a heads up: a friend and I went for a walk up Pease Mountain in
Charlotte yesterday; we took several ticks off us on the walk, and after I
got home, I took 10 ticks off my (hairy black) dog and found three on my
body, one of which had already bitten me. This seems like an infestation; I
suppose that area may be a "deer yard", and it is a somewhat brushy trail.
Ugh, not only are "they" here, but they are here with a vengence!
Priscilla Douglas

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:00 AM, VTBIRD automatic digest system <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Topics of the day:
>
> 1. More Leicester spring sightings.
> 2. LARK SPARROW
> 3. Fwd: eBird Report - Mount Independence , 4/23/10
> 4. Fwd: eBird Report - Lake Dunmore/Silver Lake Rd. , 4/24/10
> 5. Towhee
> 6. eBird Report - Hildene - Lincoln Family Home , 4/24/10
> 7. thrashers, kinglets and more
> 8. Some FOYs
> 9. Rusty Blackbirds

> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 01:43:00 -0700
> From: Shelagh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: More Leicester spring sightings.
>
> On our daily woods walk yesterday, as I was admiring the blooming Marsh
Marigolds, I looked up to see my Parson Russell Terrier had become a
Pointer! A Ruffed Grouse whirred up and off the lane in front of her.
 Further along we met a White-throated Sparrow in a low bush beside the
trail, who stayed and stared at us (no, it wasn't stunned!), remaining on
it's twig a mere 6ft away as we slowly passed by. What a great up-close
view. Teeny purple & white violets in bloom everywhere; 5 Pink
Lady-Slippers emerging, hopefully they will wait to bloom till I get back
from the UK - volcano permitting. Shelagh near Fern Lake.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 04:43:31 -0400
> From: Julie Waters <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: LARK SPARROW
>
> At 8:58 AM -0400 4/23/10, Ruth Stewart wrote:
> >Julie, Did you happen to get pictures of these sparrows? They are
> >not on the VT checklist,
> >nor do they show up in VTebird search. Their presence would be
> >pretty exciting!
>
> Yeah, they would, if I were a little more competent at bird IDs.
>
> I'm really sorry, everyone-- the more I look at this photo the more I
> think I was very likely wrong. I was so focused on one very distinct
> marking from the face that I wasn't taking the rest of the bird into
> account. I've got a lot of photos I'm going through from the week,
> and I'll post them later today and y'all can judge for yourselves. I
> also have one other mystery sparrow that I could use some help with
> ('cause at this point, I'm sure not gonna guess :-) ) and I'll
> explain that one when I post, too.
>
> --julie
> --
> [log in to unmask] http://juliewaters.com/
>
> We've heard that a million monkeys at a million
> keyboards could produce the Complete Works of
> Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
> this is not true.
>
> --Robert Wilensky
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 11:48:49 +0000
> From: Sue Wetmore <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Mount Independence , 4/23/10
>
> Wildflowers and butterflies rounded out a lovely walk around the Mount
yest=
> erday.=C2=A0 Surprised a grouse dust bathing.=20
>

> Sue Wetmore=20
> ----- Forwarded Message -----=20

was an E Towhee. A few minutes ago I started to hear the "drink your tea"
song followed by some great looks as it was scratching on the ground under
some tall Cedars.

> This is the first Towhee I have ever seen/heard in my yard. Love those
Towhees.

> [...]
> > European Starling 1
> > Pine Warbler 1
> > Chipping Sparrow 5
> > Song Sparrow 8
> > Swamp Sparrow 4
> > White-throated Sparrow 4
> > Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) 1
> > Northern Cardinal 5
> > Red-winged Blackbird 27
> > Common Grackle 3
> > Brown-headed Cowbird 12
> > Purple Finch 2
> > American Goldfinch 18
> >=20
> > This report was generated automatically by eBird =
> v2(http://ebird.org/vt)
> >=20
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:43:57 -0400
> From: Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: thrashers, kinglets and more
>
> Highlights of a late morning walk at the Charlotte Park and Wildlife
> Refuge:
>
> at least three Brown Thrashers
> many Ruby-Crowned Kinglets, one flashing its neon crown again and
> again - It's amazing how visible this is, even in shadow!
> small flock (5?) of Vesper Sparrows
> several White-Throated Sparrows
> one Hermit Thrush
> one Eastern Towhee (heard)
> close encounter with a Wild Turkey - not sure who was more surprised,
> us or the bird!
>
> Other birds:
> many Goldfinches
> one Junco
> Song Sparrows
> Pileated Woodpecker
> Downy Woodpecker
> White-Breasted Nuthatches
> Black-Capped Chickadees
> Tufted Titmice
> Blue Jays
> Brown Cowbirds
> Red-Winged Blackbirds
> Starlings
> Grackles
> Robins
> Cardinals
>
> and overhead: two Red-Tailed Hawks, many Ring-Billed Gulls, one
> Turkey Vulture
>
> and seen in Charlotte Village: Eastern Phoebe, Tree Swallow
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 22:10:18 -0400
> From: Janet Watton <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Some FOYs
>
> Brown Thrasher arrived today, gabbing away in a tree up by the barn,
> and our field sparrow is back in his meadow. Phoebes built a nest in
> one day in our barn this week, but have not yet set up housekeeping.
> The barn swallows are back at our neighboring farm. It was so funny
> to see them sitting patiently on the telephone wires, waiting for the
> roofers to finally finish putting the roof on THEIR barn!
> Janet Watton
> Randolph Center

> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 23:43:31 -0400
> From: Kenneth Copenhaver <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Rusty Blackbirds
>
> I saw 3 Rusty Blackbirds at Missisquoi NWR this morning. Also a Great
Egret