UVMFLOWNET Archives

May 2010

UVMFLOWNET@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Phil White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UVM Flownet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2010 16:25:33 -0400
Dear FLO-

Can anyone help me with specific rules regarding the responsibility of a
vascular technologist to make sure inappropriate exams are not billed to
Medicare or other insurers?

Specifically, the ED department has stated and that they will order a Venous
study on everyone who comes to the ED with a leg or toe complaint, so they
do not miss a DVT.  This has been in effect for quite some time and the
increase in venous studies have doubled.  We have all experienced how
frustrating it is to be called in for silly stuff but now it kick up to a
new level.

I feel this is entering into the bizarre world and there is no end to it
except to explain to them this is fraudulent.

Thanks

Phil White BS RVT