SCHOOL-IT June 2010

Re: Dell, in the news

"Isham, David" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:39:12 -0400

Thanks for those Dells!

Seriously, we are getting some use, though the caps they are a blowin'.
I saw this with white-boxes from a certain year, too. Those were
replaced free by the local vendor, but the downtime was still a pain. I
think Dell kept using the cheap caps longer than most vendors, despite
their rep for being on top of suppliers that the article notes.
Our Dells have power supply issues, too {plus other mobo issues}, and
the worst thing about Dell & small form factor is that most parts are
proprietary & costly, almost like laptops.

David Isham
Network Administrator
Grand Isle Supervisory Union
5038 US Rte 2
North Hero, VT 05474
802-372-6921 vox
802-372-4898 fax

-----Original Message-----
From: School Information Technology Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Barner
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Dell, in the news

I'm not the authoritative source for this info, but I watched this very
problem unfold in our district as two years' worth of Dell computer
purchases exhibited the bad capacitor problem.  Virtually every one of
the Dell GX-270 OptiPlex computers's motherboards went bad, and I was
told that many of the replacement mobos exhibited the same problem.
This lead the district to move these computers out of service sooner
that we otherwise might have.  It also lead us to give these computers
away, rather than to try to sell them, as we did not consider them
reliable.  There is an extended, not easily objectified cost in each one
of the computers that were given away and which fail prematurely, even
if they were free.  The only redeeming factor in all of this was that
Dell's system design was such that the mobo could be replaced in under a
minute, with only the need to remove and replace a single Phillips
screw.  Still, there were lots of direct costs in dealing with this
problem, not to mention the loss of productivity when computers were
unusable.  I'm sure if we quantified the costs, we'd find that this was
a very expensive problem for the district.

There's another cost to Vermont, though, that should be noted.  It was
this very rush to Asian capacitor suppliers that was the direct result
of the loss of market share for Barre's own Sprague Capacitor Co., a
company that had made very high quality capacitors for decades.  It's
obvious now that Dell did not test the Asian product sufficiently, and
we in Vermont were among those to reward their "low-cost trumps quality"
approach at the expense of Vermont jobs.  Granted, we trusted Dell and
had no way of realizing that this is what we were doing at the time, but
I bet that rings hollow in the ears of former Sprague employees.  I am
happy to see that Dell is being called to task over their part in all
this.  I think it's long overdue.

*************************
Stephen Barner
South Burlington High School
550 Dorset Street
South Burlington, VT 05403
(802) 652-7015
(802) 652-7013 (Fax)
http://sbhs.sbschools.net
http://vtacad.net
---

"When we study music, we practice... because there is no other way to
become a musician. Neither can we become engineers by just studying a
textbook, because practical experience is needed to correlate the
so-called theory with practice." Charles Franklin Kettering