SCHOOL-IT June 2010

Re: Looking a gift horse in the mouth

Bob Wickberg <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Jun 2010 04:46:22 -0400

How very timely. A teacher just brought me the Sony Viao laptop he
managed to purchase without consulting anyone in IT a year ago. The hard
drive has died, about 8 days after the warrantee expired. Could I please
make it work again? Does he have a recovery disk set? no. Sony wants
$48 for the set, sigh. Any other backups of any type? heck no.

My answer to non-standard hardware is really the same as for everything
else, which is I'll give it my best effort, as time permits, and I'll take
all the support requests I get and triage them, factoring in such complex
variables as how mission critical the problem is, not just to the
requestor, but to the school as a whole, how many people are impacted, and
to what extent, whether there's a deadline involved, how much effort is
likely to be required to remedy the problem (which is obviously greater
for stuff I'm not familiar with), etc. And of course, any priority I set
is subject to review by higher authorities (which is fine with me,
really).

Bob Wickberg
Technology Coordinator
802-451-3418